[Ws2-jurisdiction] REMINDER: Focus, Working Method and Revisions to Proposed Questions: RESPONSE REQUESTED [was: Jurisdiction Proposed Questions and Poll Results]

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 18:42:17 UTC 2016

Kavouss,

On Fri, Dec 30, 2016 at 3:32 AM, Kavouss Arasteh <kavouss.arasteh at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Grec,
> Once again you decided for everybody<.

​I did not decide anything.  I merely provided a "strawman" (a proposal
intended to generate discussion​).  This was in response to your previous
concern that the group was dealing with too many alternatives.
Participants are free to respond as they see fit (as Avri has now done).

Question 1

> We should not be selective talking about business and privacy as there
> would be other topics. I did suggest “ activities “

Thank you for reiterating your earlier concern. "​Activities" is in
alternative 1, so it is not limited to business or privacy.​  We'll need to
see if there is sufficient support for your concern.

 Question 3

> It is senseless that you ask somebody to talk about the experience of
> somebody else.
>
> Pls carefully reconsider the matter.
>
> Your experience is your experience which reflects what you have been
> encountered. I cannot ask you to talk about the experience that I have been
> encountered unless I convey that to you.
>
> This is senseless  and should be dropped

​Thank you again for reiterating your prior concern.  Many other people in
the group think this question does make sense and should be included.  To
clarify, the question does not ask the respondent "to talk about the
experience that [a third party has] encountered."  Indeed, it does not ask
the respondent to talk or write at all.  It asks the respondent to
provide "copies
of and/or links to any verifiable reports of experiences of other parties."
 In other words, third party experiences that have been "conveyed" through
correspondence, articles, blog posts, judicial/arbitral opinions, etc.
available to the respondent or more generally available.
 ​

> We must have consensus ,full consensus.

​There is no requirement for full consensus.  This subgroup, like the full
working group (and every other ICANN working group in which I've been
involved) operates on "consensus," defined as "a position where a small
minority disagrees, but most agree."  Most often, consensus is achieved
informally, through discussion and modification, until a result that "most
agree" with is achieved.

> Since the question 1 and 3 have been drafted by X and X plus few others (
> traditional group 9 support that it does not mean it is ok$
>
> Pls prove that I am wrong

​It's common to have initial drafts prepared by a small group of
volunteers.  Volunteers were sought and 2 came forward (it would have been
nice to have more than 2 people volunteer, but that was what we got from
the subgroup).  This small group drafted the initial versions of questions
1 and 2, which were sent to the entire subgroup and freely discussed over
the course of at least 3 meetings and on the list, including getting a
first and second reading in the subgroup.  At that point, it does not
matter who prepared the initial draft; what exists is the work of the
subgroup.​  In the straw poll, "most agreed" to these 2 questions.
Question 3 was not drafted by the small group at all; it came out of
several suggestions in the subgroup.  In the straw poll, "most agreed" to
Question 3 as well.  Question 4 was initially suggested by one participant;
the current version (presented to the Plenary) was an attempt to
incorporate suggestions from other participants.  In the straw poll,
Question 4 did not have support at the level where "most agreed" to
Question 4.

Based on the above, it seems fairly clear to me that Questions 1, 2 and 3
are "ok" in the eyes of the subgroup.

> Kavouss

​Greg​