[Ws2-jurisdiction] Employ Media LLC case summary

Raphaël BEAUREGARD-LACROIX raphael.beauregardlacroix at sciencespo.fr
Wed Apr 19 10:38:23 UTC 2017

Thank you for these comments Nigel.

I was not aware of any requirements regarding the format. To my knowledge,
.doc/x is as open as .pdf and both are supported by third party
applications beyond those (MS Word and Acrobat) of the original publisher.
As for vulnerabilities of either format, I must say I do not have
particular knowledge on that issue. That being said, I think submitting
cases in an easily editable format has its advantages when working
collaboratively, but I can certainly submit a pdf along the .doc/x, or
eventually only the pdf is that is what is agreed upon.

As for the doctrines used, I did not spend a lot of time evaluating the
validity and strength of the legal arguments presented by the counsel for
EmployMedia; I merely relayed the fact that this counsel claimed that the
governing law for the contract was either Ohio or California contract law.

The main issue regarding jurisdiction which I raised in my submission and
highlighted at the call yesterday is the fact that there is no choice of
law in registry agreements *and *that these registry agreements have an
arbitration clause. This combination makes it difficult to determine in
advance with reasonable certainty which law governs the contract, even more
so than if the dispute was to be settled in court, because courts are bound
by choice of law rules, and (usually) not arbitration panels. This has an
effect, in turn, on legal certainty and risk assessment of the parties. I
presume that ICANN has a good reason for such a choice, and a question will
be drafted by Jorge and submitted to ICANN legal.

As such, I am not sure to understand your suggestion that "anyone who wishes
to rely on estoppel should file in court, not IRP" or that "all this is a thin
gruel on which to base a discussion of jurisdictional principle;" if you
mean that the facts of the case are not really relevant as far as
jurisdictional issues this SWG is concerned with, then yes I do agree. I
provided the additional info on the settlement simply because some
participants requested it (Milton, I recall, and someone else I think.)

Best,