[Ws2-jurisdiction] RES: Agenda for Jurisdiction Subgroup Meeting 20 June at 19:00 UTC

Schweighofer Erich erich.schweighofer at univie.ac.at
Thu Jun 22 09:12:18 UTC 2017

Good argument but please think differently.
Immunity of States and international entities nowadays should not and is be seen that much in the traditional sense – full immunity from legal actions - but more determining the appropriate legal forum (e.g. questions juri imperii should be handled by the courts of the concerned State, with known exceptions). Immunity of International Organisations is much too broad and internal controls are not always working well.
For ICANN, it is the question which is the most appropriate forum to fight against Board decisions concerning IANA competences and if the present redress procedures are sufficient. In my view, it does not make much sense that such decisions could be challenged in every court worldwide.
Best, Erich Schweighofer