[Ws2-jurisdiction] RES: OFAC Recommendation -- Further Suggested Revisions

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 15:53:04 UTC 2017

Kavouss et al.,

First, if you would explain how the suggested text, past the first two
sentences, fits as part of a *recommendation* on the *General License*,
that would be helpful.  The remaining suggested text is a series of claims
that actions have been taken by US and non-US registrars to exclude
registrants from sanctioned countries, without any recommendation text.  *How
does this fit in General License recommendation?*  The suggested paragraph
was put there, but it does not fit in that context.

To be clear, each *recommendation* section discusses actual actions to be
taken by ICANN organization to resolve an issue if it accepts the CCWG
recommendation, or that we would suggest other ICANN structures or
stakeholders take to resolve an issue.   The remaining proposed text does
not perform this function and thus seems to have no place as part of
the *General
License Recommendation*.

To the extent these claims relate to concerns about the activities of
non-US registrars, they are addressed in the section discussing application
of OFAC sanctions by non-US registrars who are not required to do so.  It
was agreed on the call that this section would be focused on actual or
apparent mistaken application of OFAC sanctions, with corresponding
recommendations to resolve that issue.

We have never discussed an issue with regard to the activities of US
registrars, who are required to comply with OFAC regulations. As such,
mentioning activities of US registrars (or broadly claimed to be activities
of all registrars) does not seem to be appropriate.

Second, if you would respond to and try to resolve the substance of the
specific concerns I raised, that would be helpful.  Otherwise, there does
not seem to be any substantive basis for accepting any of these suggestions.

I don't think it is helpful or accurate to describe this as a removal of
text, as it was never accepted into the text in the first place.  It was a
very late suggested addition to a document that has been worked on for a
number of weeks, which was provided scant hours before the call.  Vite
fait, mal fait, as you say.

To accept the remainder of the text into the document, the Subgroup would
need to support:

   - The idea that activities of US-based registrars raise a concern for
   this group to address, and that this group has accepted this concern as an
   Issue.
   - That new Issues should be introduced to this document at this point.
   - That issues should be put into the document without corresponding
   recommendations.
   - That "media reports" should be cited in the document without being
   seen by the Subgroup.
   - That the business and legal judgement of registrars, beyond the issue
   of mistaken application of OFAC sanctions, is an appropriate topic for this
   group and an issue that this group has agreed should be addressed in the
   document.

If there is broad support for these concepts in the Subgroup and if the
concerns about the suggested text can be resolved, it would be good to hear
it now, so the document can be revised appropriately.

Best regards,

Greg

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 10:48 AM, Kavouss Arasteh <kavouss.arasteh at gmail.com