[Ws2-jurisdiction] Updated "Applicable Law and Choice of Venue Provisions" Recommendation

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 15:36:00 UTC 2017

Jorge,

These changes were made in my role as rapporteur.  A key aspect of the
rapporteur role is helping the group find outcomes the group broadly
supports.  Part of this is avoiding a push to define "common ground"
prematurely.  In my view as rapporteur, the group is not yet at the point
where a "common ground" can be declared, and other options eliminated.  You
will see that today's agenda includes a discussion of the various options.

I am as eager as you are to find common ground, and I thank you for
offering your assistance in identifying what you believe to be common
ground.  However, I believe that it's premature to identify a result at
this time.  Thus, I edited the text to keep our options open.  (I don't
believe it's accurate to say I "reverted" the text, since all your
suggestions are still in the document, and only a few changes were made by
me, to reflect where we stand in our process.)  This in no way prevents the
group from considering whether the "Menu" option is one where the Subgroup
can find common ground.  It merely reflects that we have not already done
so.

I'm a little puzzled also by your statement that I am "intervening in an
open discussion within the group taking very specific positions, instead of
letting the debate go forward and helping it reaching consensus when
needed." The changes I made were to back the document away from the very
specific positions you inserted, in order to keep the debate and discussion
open.  I'm sorry that was not clear to you.

In the end, this text needs to be revised to identify a result and a
recommendation, unless there is a divergence of opinion (and thus no common
ground, although this itself would be a "result").  We can also discuss
whether to identify the options we did not adopt and the reasons for doing
so, or to take your approach and eliminate them from the document (as you
did with the "California" option).  I hope we can move through this
rapidly, while avoiding hasty conclusions, and arrive at a document that
reflects a finding of common ground in the group.

I hope this clarifies matters.

Best regards,

Greg