[Ws2-ombudsman] CCWG-Accountability-WS2-Ombudsman-DrafRecommendationsV1.3.3

sebastien at bachollet.com sebastien at bachollet.com
Mon Sep 11 07:37:09 UTC 2017

Thanks Cheryl,
I understand your difficulty to participate to the call today.
I hope that the next one you will be able to be with us.

Thanks for your comments.
Please see some comments in your mail.

All the best
SeB

> Le 11 sept. 2017 à 08:08, Cheryl Langdon-Orr <langdonorr at gmail.com> a écrit :
>
> I am afraid I will be an apology for this call at 1300, right now, I simply can not manage three and four late night calls followed by 0300 starts at the moment... and obviously I would not need my usual dial out for the meeting.
>
> Sorry, I have however note below a few minor points regarding the report, that I would have brought up if I was attending, I hope they can be considered and be of use in your deliberations.
>
> Typo Page 4 Para 1, Line 2  "charge"  should read  'charged’.
OK
> Comment SB1; noting Phil Koury's comment regarding an 'ethics committee' and the Independent Examiners concept and motivations in proposing the Advisory Panel, I would suggest we leave our text as currently written as "Advisory Panel", we of course can make other adjustments and clarifications, if needs be, when discussing and or chartering such a panel.
We will discuss that during the call.
> Comment SB2; Have we as yet received this legal advice? I believe we would need to have this before further consideration of this point.
We have a oral advice but I have ask by mail Bernard to request a « formal » advice from legal.
To allow our group to document our deliberation.
I guess it must go to the legal committee of the ccwg-accountability?
I am a little « reluctant » to wait for the written advice as it can take some time and we are in a short schedule to deliver a first version to the plenary.
What is the filling of the group?
> Comment SB3; Whilst I might debate and disagree with a number of the points Farzaneh has made on this matter, and recently reiterated under separate cover to the list, I do agree that the mechanism to review the employment contracts of the Ombuds Office staff is only one way the important matter of the Independence of the Office can and should be addressed, therefore I do agree with  the proposal to expand this section, but from the printed in PDF comment I can make no sense of the " ... .... ...." as written, however additional text that goes something like "9 - It is identified that there needs to be efforts made to improve the independence of the ICANN Ombuds Office. One mechanism for consideration to increase this independence is the consideration at this time of the revision of the Ombuds employment contracts to ... ... ... … «
I agree that independence of the IOO is not just the question of the review of the employment contract.
I think that the advisory panel will also enhance the independence of the IOO.
But your propose wording will have my support.
Other POV?
> ?Format issue Page 22, Sec 3.0 => the bullet points in the second level indent list [o] are not a single list, this needs review/fixing I assume.
Yes
>  I am sure this will be added but we do need to have the Independent Examiners Report added to Appendix B.
Yes. With Bernard we decided not to add it as it is a very heavy document (maybe we need to have a link to the document before that final version of our group is organized).