[CCWG-ACCT] Minority Statements

Steve Crocker steve at shinkuro.com
Mon Aug 3 15:27:00 UTC 2015

On Aug 2, 2015, at 2:37 PM, Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca> wrote:

> Thanks Steve,
>
> Bernie Turcotte did most of the analyical work on this, but I will offer a few comments and thoughts.
>
> Regarding your classifications:
> - NP was not relevant, since this is not an in person vote and we are presuming that all parties could exercise their power if they chose.
> - We have not considered Rec, because of the nature of the system. Just as in the GNSO Council, where it is presumed that often, contracted parties have a vested interest in the outcome of PDPs, as long as their interests are declared, they can still vote.
> - We have classes a possible vote that is simply not exercised (through conscious decision or inattention) as an Abs.
> - There is another category in our case, that of an AC/SO that is allowed to vote but prefers to be excluded because they have not opted in to the system. They are simply excluded from the possible pool of voters as if they did not have any rights.

No argument from me.  I was suggesting a possible vocabulary and definitions to facilitate the discussion.  My orientation in these exercises is to provide fine-grained categories that capture all of the distinctions people care about and then build up groupings from there.

> In the CCWG, we have tended to say that most of the rights can be exercised by a super majority (>66%) or a 75% vote in favour. If everyone casts a Yes or No, that seems to be reasonable (one can debate the actual number of course).

Ok, this is where a bit more precision seems useful, at least to me as someone who hasn’t followed every detail.  Certainly the yes votes are included in the numerator and both the yes and no votes are included in the denominator.  What about the abs votes?  What about the AC/SOs that don’t vote?

> We have also tended to say that a single AC/SO should not be able to alone, veto any action (there are some perceived problems with this on the budget veto issue, but let's ignore that for this discussion).
>
> If you treat an abstention as a No, the above works fine (and this is how most but not all parts of ICANN treat abstentions). But some people feel that an abstention is a message that they do want to be part of the decision.

Yup, this is exactly one of the details it’s important to thrash out and gain agreement on.  Discussion of specific cases, extremes, etc. is also helpful.

> We may have as few as 20 votes in total. If just one person holding a weight=1 vote abstains, then we can simply reduce the denominator and the above criteria can stand. However a problem arises if a substantial part of the community abstains. For instance, if two SOs completely abstain, then the final decision can be made by a very small number of participants, and with sufficient abstentions, high-impact decisions can be made by a single AC/SO. It is true that this happens with the willful agreement of those who have abstained, but it is nevertheless capture by the remaining (and capture due to parts of the community losing interest was one of the things out expert advisors warned about).

I recommend expressing each of these ideas on its own before trying to piece them together into an integrated and complete policy.  Express each of the possible conditions as an explicit statement.

> Which leads to the options that Bernie and I considered for allowing abstentions to be excluded from the count, but nonetheless avoid capture. They essentially say that we cannot have too many abstentions, and that they must be spread around.
>
> The last version we came up with was the following:
>
> - To pass, the proposed proposition must have the required percentage of votes - Yes-votes/(Yes-votes + No votes)
> - 75% or more of eligible votes must have been cast as Yes or No (that is, we are limiting the number of abstentions on not-cast votes to less than 25%
> - More than 50% of the participating SO/ACs have to support the proposition - that is, for each of these SO/ACs, they must tally >2.5 Yes votes.

This seems clear enough and not overly complicated.  I am not yet completely sure I understand what it means for an SO or AC to participate (or not participate, but that’s probably because I haven’t read carefully enough yet.  Can you formalize the notion of “participation?”

> Reviewing a number of scenarios, with these requirement, we can avoid capture and still be able to exercise the powers. Essentially it requires a significant part of the community to want to take the action. If too many people opt out and abstain, the power cannot be exercised, but a single SO/AC cannot veto.

It might be helpful to lay out various scenarios you’d consider unacceptable.  For example, can you characterize “capture?”

> However, it was felt that to use this set of rules, the process would simply be TOO obscure and opaque.

Hmm…. I’m not sure why this set of rules is viewed as overly complicated.  In the U.S. we’re quite familiar with notions of “quorum”, i.e. a required number of participants, and various representation schemes, e.g. representatives, senators and electors.  There are advantages and disadvantages in each of these systems, but they are well within the understanding and support of the electorate.

> Hope this helps a bit.

Keep pushing.  This feels like it might help.

Thanks,

Steve