[CCWG-ACCT] FW: FY16 Appropriations Act Extends IANA Transition Freeze without DOTCOM Act

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Thu Dec 17 20:18:15 UTC 2015

Phil,

Thanks for writing this up. To catch up with today's speculation -- what
will happen if ...

The IANA Function head count and resources currently are well within the
resources available to the NTIA, so it is not impossible that in the
event of contract expiry the NTIA can end outsourcing to private
contractors, or simply exercise another of its remaining extension options.

My recollection of the previous transition arising from a competitive
procurement -- from SRI to the ancestor of NetSol -- was that
post-transition we (SRI) provided significant assistance for a period of
a year to the new contractor (after all, this was "rocket science",
then). I don't recall if SRI billed the USG for this assistance, but
given the scope of SRI's contracts with the USG, it would have been
silly not to have made the transition successful, even at a minor
unrecovered cost to the Institute.

What concerns me (and I don't expect this is a shared concern) the most
in the "falling off the end of the contract period" scenario is the
possibility of the USG abandoning property to the incumbent contractor,
and third-parties, from tax crusaders to market monopolists taking this
-- an improper disposal of government property -- to the courts.

Eric Brunner-Williams
Eugene, Oregon