[CCWG-ACCT] Regarding the Affirmation of Commitments to the US Government

Steve DelBianco sdelbianco at netchoice.org
Sun Feb 1 14:11:55 UTC 2015

Kavouss — Our CCWG is addressing how to change the AoC as part of the IANA transition.  One requirement we discussed in Frankfurt was:
[cid:033444BA-4E41-4D16-AD2E-00D7634BC6BD]
It’s now a task of the CCCWGG work team on Community Empowerment to decribe mechanisms/Bylaws changes to bring the AoC into ICANN’s permanent accountability structure.

From the inventory<https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/51414327/WA2%20Inventory%2015-Jan-2015.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1421377727000&api=v2> that Work Area 2 developed last year, here are several potential mechanisms:

Bring the Affirmation of Commitments (incl the Reviews) into the ICANN bylaws, with these amendments:

ICANN Members or permanent Cross-Community Working Group to select Affirmation Review teams

Affirmation Review Teams get access to all internal documents

Affirmation Accountability & Transparency Review Team could recommend sunset of original reviews and create new reviews

Change Affirmation reviews from “in the public interest” to “for protection and advance of human rights and internet freedoms”

Replace Affirmation with accountability contract between ICANN and ‘Contract Co.’
—
Steve DelBianco