[CCWG-ACCT] Proposal for a Community Veto Process on Key Board Decisions via Bylaws Amendment

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Thu Feb 5 08:33:24 UTC 2015

On 04-Feb-15 19:07, Roelof Meijer wrote:
> # Is the "the ability of the community to recall recalcitrant board
> members” also subject to the condition of the board not being
> unanimously or in super majority against such a recall? If it is, I
> think it will be useless.

I would assume that removing a single board members would require some
process by those who (s)elected the Board member and could be for any
reason those (s)electors decided warranted such removal.

It could, for example, be because the Board member never consulted with
those who (s)elected them.  It could be becasue they weren't doing their
job.  It could be because they were vile, vicious and vindictive.  I
think the commuity that (s)elects a Board member should be able to
remove them as they decide it is needed.  If their idea of what is good
for ICANN is radically diffferent from the (s)electors then they should
be removed.  We would need to develop processes within each f the ACSO
that (s)elect, and would need to develop a nomcom removal process.

As for removal of the chair or of the entire Board, that is a different
issue, and I am not sure that I support the removal of the entire board,
though removal of the chair by a community wide consensus might make sense.

avri