[CCWG-ACCT] Agenda item on Scheduling

Jordan Carter jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Mon Feb 9 03:20:08 UTC 2015

Dear all,

Brief replies in line (and noting that the CCWG will be discussing this
this week):

On 9 February 2015 at 01:17, Kavouss Arasteh <kavouss.arasteh at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear Jordan
> May you kindly clarify what do you mean by :
> '' *but that the integration of this work with the CWG given their
> conditionality around accountability for the IANA functions indicated to
> us, is just simply going to be impossible to manage in the "best case*".
> Question
> .Integration of what work with what action item of CWG ?

The broad ICANN accountability framework our CCWG is developing is going to
have some kind of relationship with the narrow IANA accountability that the
CWG is developing for the Names community (and that the numbers and
protocols people have developed for their areas).

I am not sure if the CCWG can finalise their proposals before they know
what our Work Stream 1 (pre-transition) conclusions are - and before they
know what the ICANN Board will accept for implementation.

If they do try and finalise before our WS1 work is done, then they risk
having made wrong assumptions about our conclusions and recommendations and
so might, by accident, create problems for IANA accountability.

I think we might need to allow time in the process to make sure that these
work together well. That doesn't quite seem to be in the schedule yet.

> "*If we can end up with a "central case" then that will give the ICG time
> to review and rebuild its own schedule."*
>
> *Question*
> *What central work ?*

The currently circulated schedule showing the work of the CCWG, CWG and ICG
is attached. It is - and is labelled - "best case". That's the most hopeful
outcome. I am just saying that rather than hopeful, we should have a "we
think we really can manage this schedule" version, which I called the
central case.

> *"If that schedule is longer, it might have the added benefit of reducing
> the head-long rush and the risk of exhaustion for those parts of the
> community taking part in this process."*
> *Question *
> Which schedule ?

The schedule of work for the CWG/CCWG/ICG.

> Question
> Why it would have added benefit ?

If we agree a realistic schedule we are confident we can meet, we will not
be working ourselves to exhaustion trying to meet an impossible deadline.

That sounds like a benefit to me!

:-)

best
Jordan

Regards

jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Skype: jordancarter

*To promote the Internet's benefits and uses, and protect its potential.*