[CCWG-ACCT] Thinking ahead - overcoming the legal obstacles to accountability

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 00:09:43 UTC 2015

Phil,

I don't think we have time for an RFP process, nor do I think one is
necessary. In my experience, only a small percentage of legal engagements
come via an RFP process.  The process is already underway.  We have been
putting together criteria for the right lawyer/firm, and coordinating
between the CWG and the CCWG.  We have also been making inquiries and doing
research to identify "best of breed" firms in the substantive areas we
require.

Given that many of the accountability remedies and stress tests pose issues
under California law, getting far away from California would be
ill-advised, since we need expertise in California law.  If there are
conflicts, they will be identified in the process.  If there are no
conflicts, I don't think that being located in the State of California will
create any issues for independence (ICANN is not a behemoth, like, e.g.,
General Motors in Detroit in the 1950's).  Likely, any firm we choose will
have offices in California and a number of other places (inside and outside
the U.S.).

Please note I'm speaking for myself and not for others involved in the
lawyer-finding process (though I believe they will likely agree with me).

Greg