[CCWG-Accountability] Regarding how bylaw changes are made

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Thu Jan 1 03:55:24 UTC 2015

Hello Seun,

>>  I think writing to board to know how it will treat the WG outcome especially when some of it's implementations will require by-law modifications that further involve the ICANN community in decision making process may be useful.

In terms of the process for making bylaws changes, changes have previously been made to accommodate recommendations from the review teams associated with the work of the Accountability and Transparency Review Teams (ATRT)  https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/atrt-2012-02-25-en .

Any archive of all previous versions of the bylaws is available here:
https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/archive-bc-2012-02-25-en

Based on our current practice I would expect the process to be as follows:

- Board accepts recommendations from the CCWG

- General Counsel's office prepares specific text to change in the bylaws

- proposed bylaws changes are put out for public comment  (45 days)

- Board then votes on the bylaws amendments  - a 2/3 majority of the Board is required to make a bylaw change

If there is significant community comments against the proposed bylaws language - then a new draft of the bylaws would be put out for public comment that is consistent with the recommendations from the CCWG.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin