[CCWG-Accountability] Agenda for CCWG-Accountability on 30 December at 19:00 UTC

Carrie Devorah carriedev at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 17:04:35 UTC 2015

On a lighter note, I thought to share, first off New Years greetings to all
and something I penned.
We do sometimes need to smile,
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/twas-copyright-theft-victims-revenge-night-before-carrie-devorah
Sincerely
Carrie Devorah
Founder
THE CENTER FOR COPYRIGHT INTEGRITY
www.centerforcopyrightintegrity.com

On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 9:30 AM, Kieren McCarthy <kierenmccarthy at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Could I just throw an observation about the current setup in here, having
> watched ICANN both externally and internally (both community and
> corporation) for more than a decade.
>
> We are taking the presumption that the Board is not only the group that
> ultimately makes the decisions but also the group that keeps the
> corporation in check on more everyday, operational matters.
>
> I would argue that this approach consistently fails because the Board
> cannot be expected to see and follow everything. It is also ends up
> concentrating too much power and reliance on that power in too few hands.
>
> It also provides opportunities for the Board to make bad decisions (like a
> 10-year lease on an unused building, or a investment strategy tied too
> closely to a failing stock market, or wage packages that are far too high,
> or expense accounts with no apparent limits, or an internet governance
> strategy that upsets the entire technical community, and so on).
>
> Rather than focus solely on how to get the Board to listen more closely
> before making a decision (which is of course vital), we should also
> consider how to allow the community to assist in the running of ICANN.
> Rather than rely on the Board of a Corporation to do everything.
>
> We should try to break down some of the Them vs Us attitude that exists
> within the corporation, which is behind many of the problems.
>
> One of many ways to do this would be an improved information release
> policy with a staff-and-community committee in charge.
>
> In fact, pulling staff more into the community by having joint committees
> (rather than have staff as secretaries) to solve corporate-specific issues
> should help break down barriers and build trust.
>
> Opening up the current Board committees to community members would also
> help enormously. There is no real reason why it should only be staff and
> Board on these committees (I have sat on or in many of them and community
> members would have been useful many times).
>
> There are lots of other possibilities but you get my general point. Let's
> open things up, ICANN is no longer under existential threat. It's time to
> reflect that and help it grow into what it should be.
>

> Kieren
>
> -
> [sent through phone]
>

> On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 10:36 AM, Jonathan Zuck <JZuck at actonline.org>
> wrote:
>
>> I think the primary problem with this approach is that accountability
>> issues *currently*, not to mention in the hypothetical future have to do
>> with more than scope creep. Everyone is up in arms about that issue in
>> particular because of recent events but we need to think more broadly about
>> what might happen in the future and come up with a true accountability
>> mechanism, in WS1, and I content it will be DIFFICULT to get through the
>> board but necessary. This isn’t about what the board will accept, it’s
> [...]

Sincerely
CARRIE Devorah
 562 688 2883

DISCLAIMER :
With the continuing crossing and interfacing of platforms both on & off
line both with & without our knowledge nor approval to note nothing sent
over the Internet anymore is ever private nor should be presumed to be so.
If it is that much of a secret, say nothing. If you must? Take a lesson
from our military- hand write the note, chew then swallow