[CCWG-Accountability] Regarding Non-profit and public-benefit legal structure

Phil Buckingham phil at dotadvice.co.uk
Wed Jan 7 01:50:32 UTC 2015

Hello Bruce,( & Greg),

Thanks for your sterling work here as Board liaison.

What I can't get my head around is that ICANN is projecting / budgeting 15M
gTLD registrations ( down from an original 33M ) by the end of 2015 ( I
think ) , maybe 2016.
With each new registry(1400) paying $25000 pa + 25cents for each
registration over 50000 to ICANN + potential huge $M from auctions - how can
ICANN be called a "not for profit " anymore. Surely its tax and legal status
will have to change ( under Californian law). (This is where a UK accountant
bows out).

Perhaps I'm going too deep / off  topic now.

Regards,

Phil