[CCWG-Accountability] Regarding Non-profit and public-benefit legal structure

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Wed Jan 7 02:44:20 UTC 2015

Hello Edward,

>>   Again, there would be no such move. We would merely change ICANN  from being a PBC without members to being a PBC with members, per California Corporations Code §5310-§5313. Absolutely no change of corporate type, merely an internal change within the statutes governing California PBC's. ICANN would  still be a Public Benefit Corporation with the same public service commitment, merely one with Members.

Ah - that is good to know.

- would need to carefully consider how to ensure that the members are reflective of the broader Internet community and don't become limited to a few members

>>  We need to be creative and inclusive in creating membership vehicles. There needs to be a place for anyone and everyone in a new membership based ICANN. Lots of politics, lots of compromises, but it can be and should be done. We're supposed to be a BOTTOM UP multi-stakeholder organization. Properly designed, nothing is more bottom up than an inclusive organisational structure where the Board answers direct to Members who themselves consist of the diverse, broad and global internet community.

Personally that makes sense to me.   I am familiar with the model in Australia where the .au ccTLD manager is set up as a membership organization.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin