[CCWG-Accountability] Regarding Non-profit and public-benefit legal structure

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Wed Jan 7 20:09:34 UTC 2015

Steve:

Not all Board decisions are related to policy or
within the scope of policy development processes
or even the sole responsibility of an SO (which
is currently the only place that policy
development occurs). Use of the word "back"
implies that is where all decisions start - again not the case.

I also would strongly argue against the inclusion
of "Constituencies". With an upper case C, they
are the sole construct of the GNSO, and with a
lower case C the term is close to meaningless.
Also, it is a mechanism by which a SG could
create Constituencies and de facto increase their representation.

I would argue for a methodology not unlike that
used in the Stewardship CWG and this CCWG,
allocating a specific number of seats to each
AC/SO and allow then to sub-allocate as
appropriate to their internal structure.

Alan

At 07/01/2015 02:08 PM, Steve DelBianco wrote:

>Some clarifications about the Member concept, as
>described on the
><https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=51416471>Work
>Area 2 inventory:
>Members are not outside of ICANN — they are
>designated by their respective
>AAC/SO/Constituencies.  So not sure there is
>much risk that a majority of these Members could be captured.
>Members would be given only these enumerated powers:
>Appoint members of Affirmation Review teams
>Review [and perhaps reverse] any board
>decision.  Non-approval would send decision back
>to bottom-up policy development process.
>Approve proposed changes to ICANN Bylaws or Articles of Incorporation.
>Approve annual proposed budget
>

>Members could not re-write contracts or budgets
>or bylaws.   If a bottom-up consensus process
>generated a bylaws change that was rejected by
>the board, the Members could reverse that decision, however.
>

>Steve DelBianco
>
>From: Greg Shatan <<mailto:gregshatanipc at gmail.com>gregshatanipc at gmail.com>
>Date: Wednesday, January 7, 2015 at 12:45 PM
>"<mailto:accountability-cross-community at icann.org>accountability-cross-community at icann.org"
><<mailto:accountability-cross-community at icann.org>accountability-cross-community at icann.org>
>Subject: Re: [CCWG-Accountability] Regarding
>Non-profit and public-benefit legal structure
>
>I would not rush to the conclusion that a
>membership group is per se prone to capture.  A
>poorly designed membership group, yes.  The
>devil is in the details -- who are the members?
>if they are individuals, who do they represent?
>how do they act? when can they act, and how
>quickly? how many of them are there? what are
>their powers? who is excluded? are there classes
>of members? is voting weighted?
>
>Also, I'm not sure if (or why) the community
>accountability mechanism needs to be "outside"
>(depending on what that means).  Members in a
>membership corporation are not really outside,
>unless I am not getting the sense of the word as used here.
>
>As for the dispute resolution mechanism, that
>will depend on the other two factors (among
>other things).  If the members have the "last
>word" on something, and the board fails to act,
>binding arbitration (or litigation) would be a
>reasonable step (although some escalation
>mechanisms might be appropriate before getting there).
>
>Greg Shatan
>

>On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 10:37 AM, Paul Rosenzweig
><<mailto:paul.rosenzweig at redbranchconsulting.com>paul.rosenzweig at redbranchconsulting.com>
>wrote:
>I think that the potential for capture of the
>outside member group is the reason that the
>accountability system probably needs to be
>linked to an independent judicial/arbitral
>function to resolve disputes.   [Of course that
>institution, too, could be captured
 but att