[CCWG-Accountability] Regarding Non-profit and public-benefit legal structure

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Wed Jan 7 19:49:52 UTC 2015

On 1/7/15 11:08 AM, Steve DelBianco wrote:
> Some clarifications about the Member concept, as described on the Work
> Area 2 inventory
> <https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=51416471>:

Steve,

Thank you for reference to the WS2 collection -- as I've not followed
WS2 I've no idea which of the items referencing "members" is  final and
ready for reference to the entire WG for consideration. In any case ...

>     Members are not outside of ICANN — they are designated by their
>     respective AC/SO/Constituencies.  So not sure there is much risk
>     that a majority of these Members could be captured.

I'm glad you recognize that, assuming several possible models for
"membership", some will, from time to time, be captured by the parties
with substantial material interest in the corporation's momentary and
long-term policies and governance, though perhaps not a majority.
Personally I would not fixate on "majority", as policy decision making
has been, and may continue to be, by groups of interests, for which much
less than "majority capture" may be sufficient to determine outcomes.

In what follows (below) shouldn't these "member" references be "proposed
members", with a reference to a specific membership proposal somewhere
in the WS2 work product? I'd like to know what "member" means, and I
expect that what is needed for each notion of "member" is the proposed
Bylaws language for that proposed notion of "member" and the rights and
duties associated.

Best,
Eric Brunner-Williams
Eugene, Oregon