[CCWG-Accountability] the term "community"

Dr Eberhard W Lisse el at lisse.na
Mon Jan 12 18:28:28 UTC 2015

Tijani,

As much as I can live with a definition of stakeholders, it does
not follow that it gives stakeholders any stake, per se, but if so
only specific.

Just because, for example, governments are stakeholders, it does not
follow that they can tell anyone what to do, per se.

Stakeholders or better Interested Parties, or Significantly
Interested Parties, are not involved with a CURRENT ccTLD Manager
(due to the retro-activity implied).

We had us 5 years worth of work coming up with the interpretation
that during the selection of a NEW ccTLD Manager (by way of creation
of a new ccTLD, the next one would be .SS probably, or after
revocation) Interested Parties and Significantly Interested Parties
have a role to play

But in the context of Internet Governance, no stakeholder has ANY
input into CURRENT management as long as the current ccTLD Manager
does not substantively misbehave.

This comes from the safety, stability requirement but also from the
requirement to do a competent, honest and equitable job as per
RFC1591.

It's debatable whether this even applies to preexisting ccTLDs, but
as it is easy to not substantively misbehave, it achieved unanimous
consent.

That does not mean that a particular government may or may not act
harshly against a ccTLD Manager, but it does not get into the realm
of Accountability, of Internet Governance.

greetings, el