[CCWG-Accountability] the term "community"

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Mon Jan 12 19:34:59 UTC 2015

Dear Tijani,

The first use of a phrase, e.g., "stakeholder" in the context of
persistent identifier to resource association over interconnecting
datagram networks, by some author, e.g., the organizers and participants
of a meeting, is incidental to the scope of the benefits of persistent
identifier to resource association over interconnecting datagram networks.

The beneficiaries during the hosttables period included government
funded research universities, government agencies, and government
contractors, and, using similar mechanisms, private and public
institutions, including governments, and the first subscriber-based and
otherwise unrestricted "public access" providers.

Over time both SRI and its data consumers transitioned from hosttables
to the DNS, and users of similar mechanisms transitioned to the DNS, and
the benefit expanded to include support for persistent identifiers in
scripts other then Latin, e.g., Arabic Script, Han Script, Hangul
Script, Cyrillic Script, ...

Were we to take the notion of "Stakeholder" from any time prior to the
addition of support for these scripts to the IANA root zone, users of
those scripts could be considered "customers" of the Verisign IDN
testbed, but not "stakeholders" in the community which participates in
the technical coordination of unique global endpoint identifiers -- the
"ICANN community". Even today, as a speaker of minority languages, using
extended Latin Script characters, and Scripts not yet present in the
IANA root zone, I don't consider my language communities, as communities
or institutions, at this point in time, to be "Stakeholders".

Ironically, a MENOG mailing dropped into my inbox while reviewing the
paragraph above -- ICANN has openings for IDN Program Managers -- in
Istanbul and Singapore -- which are unlikely to be competent to address
the needs of speakers of the Indigenous Languages of the Americas.
Clearly we are not yet "Stakeholders".

All this is simply to develop your point that the definition of
"stakeholder" were to be static the consequences would be unfortunate,
and on a very large scale.

Finally, as a friendly nuisance (or nuance), the parents, siblings and
extended family members of students have an interest in the schools
their school age dependents attend, as do the taxpayers (public schools)
and donors (private schools), textbook vendors, lower level schools
(student producers) and higher level general and vocational schools
(student consumers), as well as the community as a whole.

This little bit simply to say it is more than students, teachers and
staff that make a school.

Sincerely,

Eric Brunner-Williams
Eugene, Oregon