[CCWG-Accountability] Accountability Definitions and scoping

Roelof Meijer Roelof.Meijer at sidn.nl
Thu Jan 15 16:59:30 UTC 2015

Dear Mathieu, all,

As promised in our last call, some suggestions for text changes (re ccTLDs
and other) in the strawman document:

1)Under „directly affected parties” the document mentions:
ccTLD managers as far as IANA decisions are processed (and only through
that aspect).

Too limited in my opinion, so I suggest to change to: "ccTLD managers
mainly as far as IANA decisions are concerned”
To illustrate my point: if a ccTLD signs it zone, but ICANN postpones
signing the root, that decision would directly influence the security of
the ccTLD

2)Under „indirectly affected parties” the document does not mention
ccTLDs. In my opinion it should, I suggest we just add „ccTLDs” without
any examples or limitations..
Three examples to illustrate: 1) IfICANN decides to sign the rootzone,
this causes pressure on a ccTLD by its
stakeholders to sign its zone 2) the new gTLD program has direct influence
on
the local market of quite a few ccTLDs and thus on its market position 3)
If ICANN,
through contract, allows Verisign to raise the wholesale prices of .com
domains, this influences registrars’ marketing decisions and thus
influences the market position of ccTLDs that operate/compete in the same
(local) market with .com

3)Under „parties affecting ICANN directly” I suggest we (at least) add:
Auditors, (community) working groups, (external) review teams

4) I am missing (potential) domain name holders as parties
directly/indirectly influencing ICANN. They do so for instance through
their buy/sell behavior. If (almost) nobody buys new gTLDs, there will be
no second round..

Regards,

Roelof