[CCWG-Accountability] Comments on the draft CCWG Accountability - Problem definition - Strawman proposal

Thomas.Schneider at bakom.admin.ch Thomas.Schneider at bakom.admin.ch
Mon Jan 19 15:44:14 UTC 2015

Dear Eberhard

i will copy it into the message so that you can also read it.
Best
Thomas

Food for thoughts on the CCWG Accountability - Problem definition - Strawman proposal:

This paper suggests to consider a restructuring of the document and to add a few elements that should help explaining the concept of accountability and then applying this to the ICANN context

1.      Problem Statement
      (no comments on the existing text in the draft paper)

2.      What is accountability?
      I would like to propose two main elements of this chapter: One is a quick explanation of the "concept of accountability" in general and the second one is some explanations about why and how to apply the concept to the ICANN context.

a.      The concept of accountability in General
            Here are some elements for an explanation of the concept of accountability in general:

            Meaning of accountability: "The condition or quality of being accountable which in turn means responsible; having to give an explanation for one's actions; answerable." (Longman Dictionary)

            Definition: "Accountability refers to the implicit or explicit expectation that one may be called on to justify one's (beliefs, feelings and) actions to others" (Lerner, J.; Tetlock, P.E. 1999, p. 255)

            Another element is a "notion of personal responsibility for potential negative consequences of one's own behavior and actions on others".

            Accountability may be achieved through the adhering to a framework of agreed rules and standards and of defined rights and responsibilities for those accountable and for those that an individual/entity is accountable to.

            Another important element is transparency which is a prerequisite for any accountability mechanism to achieve its purpose.

            Such a framework should include checks and balances, to be understood as "a system in which the different parts of an organization (such as a government) have powers that affect and control the other parts so that no part can become too powerful" (Source: Merriam Webster dictionary (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/checks%20and%20balances ).

b.      Accountability in the ICANN context
            This section should explain the purpose of accountability in the concrete ICANN context (as it has been drafted under Chapter 3 in the current draft) - maybe with a distinction between aspects belonging to WS1 and those belonging to WS2.
            This section can be based inter alia on the NETmunidal text and have the following elements:

i.      Checks and balances
ii.     transparency
iii.    Review mechanisms
iv.     Redress mechanisms
v.      Independence

3.      What is the purpose of accountability? How should accountability be achieved?
      (build on Chapter 4 of the current draft)

4.      To whom should ICANN be accountable?
      (build on Chapter 2 of the current draft)

Annex
Possible additional elements to explain the general concept of accountability (Chapter 2):

Distinction between Internal and external Accountability:
*       External Accountability: monitoring and assessment of behavior of the accountable entity by the a general public.
*       Internal Accountability: Desire of the accountable individual/entity to justify his/her/its actions vis-à-vis him-/her-/itself.