[CCWG-ACCT] [CCWG-Accountability] Membership thoughts

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Tue Jan 20 18:38:18 UTC 2015

Dear Jordan,

thanks for your looking into this in further detail.
My comment below:

On 19/01/2015 16:00, Jordan Carter wrote:

> It would be straightforward and possible to make e.g. SO and AC chairs
> effective "members" of ICANN (we define our own membership system). It
> would be harder to allow individuals with some standing to join
> stakeholder constituencies of voters and then allocate shares of total
> votes across these in a fair way. It would be possible but mad to have
> a "one member one vote" system where a ccTLD manager had the same say
> as an Internet user.

Isn't what you're describing ICANN version 1, with thousands of
individual voters? I agree that did not work and will not work today
either. However, I would also really urge caution in turning ICANN into
a purely membership organisation that allocates shares of total votes
according to size of organisational members. I have seen membership
organisations being captured by large players buying out smaller players
- the endgame being $$$ controlling the organisation and *not* the
public interest.
Kind regards,

Olivier

--