[CCWG-ACCT] [CCWG-Accountability] On legal advise concerning California non-profits

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Thu Jan 22 17:04:04 UTC 2015

Becky,

If one of the "free, soon, adequate" requirements can be waived, then
even I don't have my view, but the legal staff do meet those criteria,
and their client is the corporation, which is capable of reorganization,
a subject of interest for the purposes of exploring the "member" and
"oversight" sets of issues.

I'm glad you mention fiduciary duty as there are no shareholders, rather
stewards of the public trust exercising reasonable care, inquisitive ...
the strictest standard of duty of care in American law. As many members
of the community having a material interest in unique endpoint
identifiers are employed by for-profit entities with shareholders, the
same meaning may not be conveyed when we use the same phrase.

Would you do me the kindness (at some point in the proximal future, it
isn't urgent) of providing a URL to the conclusion, and perhaps the
supporting analysis, of the Berkman Center during the first ATRT review?
I'm interested in which legal positions by the Corporation's legal staff
they found in need of additional research.

Again, were we constituted externally by some other corporate entity,
then retaining our legal counsel rather than relying upon the legal
counsel of the subject of our inquiry, concerning its reorganization,
would be necessary for the reason you mention -- the ethical duty of
counsel towards its clients -- but we -- the CCWG-whatever -- are not,
and staff -- all of staff, from IT to Legal, as resources allocated by
the executive, are available to us.  Absent a refusal to allocate or a
demonstration of incompetence, why shouldn't we expect an adequate work
product from staff counsel?

Thank you for your kind note, and on the International Law issue, which
to me seems excessively speculative, I share your remark.

Eric Brunner-Williams
Eugene, Oregon