[CCWG-ACCT] responding to Eric's questions

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Thu Jan 22 19:09:22 UTC 2015

Becky,

Thank you.

Let's assume "they" are Jones Day, in their capacity as external
counsel, and also assume "ICANN will have to pay them", and the question
on which advice is sought is whether, as organized, or under some
reorganization scenario, an "oversight" function may be exercised over
the Board, without change to the incorporation status (Cal. Non-profit &
IRS 501(c)(3)).

The Board already has, as someone pointed out, referring to a 1pp note,
tasked legal staff to provide an answer to the question.

The proposal to retain "they", for a reasonable fee paid by ICANN, to
produce a responsive memo to a question for which the Board has chosen
to be informed by its in-house counsel, _is_ a proposal to conduct that
very oversight (an action taken in the absence of, or contrary to, some
act by the Board, here not electing to refer the question to external
counsel) upon which an opinion is sought -- not by the Board, but by
(assuming a process outcome) this WG, or some members of this WG.

This WG, like any WG, may recommend actions, but taking the step to
conduct an action of oversight, to determine if oversight may exist
without reference beyond California's non-profit incorporation language
and case law, is that very oversight.

Third-party money, fine. An unsolicited memo thrown over the transom,
fine. Persuade the Board to direct the Executive, fine. On any question
not previously considered, or not known to be under present, or planned
consideration, by the Board, fine. But oversight by an inferior organ
(us) to determine if oversight of a superior organ (Board) is possible
-- a question previously considered by the Board -- answers the
hypothetical with the actual. It crosses a Rubicon.

In an aside to Greg and the word "adequate", my thought when selecting
that word was that an opinion which prevailed when tested at the
appellate level, in California, where issues of law are considered, in
California, would be adequate.

I'm not entirely happy with personalizing a question, and at some point
the process for resolving differences of views among those concerned --
this or any other -- must be referenced.

Again, thanks to Becky, Greg, and others who've provided thoughtful,
considered, and differing views on this issue.

Eric Brunner-Williams
Eugene, Oregon