[CCWG-ACCT] got some lawyerly answers on membership structure

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Wed Jan 28 21:38:19 UTC 2015

Keith,

To respond to your question --

Other than the unique circumstance that one contractee -- Verisign
Global Registry Service -- is, for historical reasons, one of the Root
Zone Management (RZM) partners, and, as you mention, someone's employer,
can anyone suggest a meaningful difference of interests in the continued
function of the Root Management Zone between, say, a delegee's interests
and a contractee's interests?

Having worn both hats, I can't think of any.

Feel free to point out something I missed, because if both ccTLDs and
gTLDs have the same interest in the continued function of the Root
Management Zone, then since this interest isn't unique to delegees and
contractees, neither are necessary to provide oversight of that
continued function.

Whether there is some other interest that requires the inclusion of
delegees and/or contractees in some membership oversight scheme is
possible. Consistency and correctness of policy implemented by the Root
Zone Management (RZM) partners, as Eberhard points out (and as I thought
was common knowledge among those of us with 10+ years of involvement),
is such an interest, which of course, is not shared by contractees,
which are governed solely by contract.

To restate: a possible membership model need not include duplicated
interests, and the interest in the continued function of the Root
Management Zone is sufficiently general that no claim of interest in it
must promote the claimant to member status, whatever that may be in the
cloud of "membership" proposals.

Eric Brunner-Williams
Eugene, Oregon