[CCWG-ACCT] A modest proposal to start the week

Malcolm Hutty malcolm at linx.net
Mon Jun 1 15:42:03 UTC 2015

On 2015-06-01 15:59, Alan Greenberg wrote:
> I support Avri.
>
> First, suing ICANN is NOT the only power they have. That is a last
> resort power that we are told will never (well nearly never) be
> exercised. The prime power is to challenge ICANN on its decisions and
> to ratify some of those decisions. As described in the community
> mechanisms in the CCWG Draft Proposal.

Here I think we need to unravel two different concepts: the concept of
"members" in law, and the concepts of empowered community stakeholder
groups.

Our community mechanisms as described in the CCWG proposal could be
given
to our own community mechanisms without making them UAs in law. It's
only
the power of standing before a court that requires UAs, because our
community
bodies don't have legal personality.

We don't need to create UAs to exercise the other community powers we
have created.
The only thing I am uncertain about is whether members have other
statutory
powers we haven't considered.

> We are putting these mechanisms in place because we have a lack of
> trust in the good judgement of the Board.
[...]
> And no doubt these views are also out of order.

I agree with Jonathan.

--
             Malcolm Hutty | tel: +44 20 7645 3523
    Head of Public Affairs | Read the LINX Public Affairs blog

                  London Internet Exchange Ltd
            21-27 St Thomas Street, London SE1 9RY

          Company Registered in England No. 3137929