[CCWG-ACCT] Townhall meeting follow-up

farzaneh badii farzaneh.badii at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 10:47:11 UTC 2015

Hi Seun,

"1. Has there been any known scenario where ICANN board at the moment did
not obey its current bylaw?"

Although I think there might be an answer to your question above, I don't
think your question  needs an answer. You do not need something to already
have happened to have safeguards against it! In almost all legal systems
there are safeguards in place for stopping the board of directors from
wrongdoing etc. Board members change and we need institutional safeguards.
I think we should certainly re-think some assertion that our community is
so unique and can just function based on mutual trust ! Our community is
unique but I'm afraid not that unique !

On 22 June 2015 at 18:14, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> this here again. Would appreciate if you could respond to them (item 3 is
> particularly of interest):
>
> 1. Has there been any known scenario where ICANN board at the moment did
> not obey its current bylaw?
> 2. If ICANN board does not obey its bylaw, what is the legal implication
> to the board members?
> 3. Is it possible for board members to sign a mandate upon induction
> indicating that they would resign if the community (through a defined
> process) determined that they did not follow the organisation's bylaw?
>

> For designator or member you need some kind of “legal person”.
>>>>

>>> On the designator option i think there may be need to re-question the
>>> legal team on this. ARIN recently received some legal advice on possibility
>>> of NRO becoming a designate/member within ICANN[1] and it does seem an
>>> interesting read. I quote the specific section below:
>>>

>> The memo you refer to below is an interesting read, but it tells you that
>> the NRO is an unincorporated association. So that's in support of my point.
>>

> I am not sure this clarifies what "legal person" mean in this context. Is
> UA = "Legal person" as NRO in this context is not a person but entity.
>

>>> "Designators are simply those parties provided in a corporation’s
>>>>

>>> So i don't really understand the idea of "legal person" requirement as
>>> indicated by the ccwg legal team, perhaps they need to clarify.
>>>

>> It comes back to what I said above: without being a legal person, they
>> can't enforce their right to appoint or remove said Director if the person
>> in place refuses to play by the rules.
>>

> Jordan, there are 2 broad options here:
>
> - Board removal through some form of membership means (designator, member,
> empowered, hybrid etc)
> - Board removal through the option i suggested in my item 3 above.
> (including route suggested by Alan which by the way i was surprised we seem
> to not have follow-up)
>

>>> That said, this is not to indicate a preference at the moment but to
>>> ensure we get clarity on what is possible and what isn't in all these models
>>>

>> Helpful in that respect.
>>
>> And happy to note Alan's correction in the subsequent message, that his
>> model of pre-committed resignations does leave the Board Director removal
>> power on the table (so 1 or 2/6).
>>

> +1 and i think should be considered as well. Actually i think if we can
> have the "threatening rod" of board member removal while maintaining the
> current status of SO/AC, in addition to the fact that board are mandated to
> abide by the bylaw, the other 5 out of 6 powers would naturally be
> indirectly exercised.
>
> Thanks
>
> Regards
>

>> cheers,
>> Jordan

>>> Actually that is me giving a funky title to the ccwg proposed bylaw
>>> changes as i see it as enhancement of community engagement in ICANN board

>>> 1.
>>> https://www.nro.net/wp-content/uploads/ARIN-Memo-re-NRO-Status-as-an-Unincorporated-Association.pdf

>>> --
>>>

>>> *Seun Ojedeji,Federal University Oye-Ekitiweb:
>>> http://www.fuoye.edu.ng <http://www.fuoye.edu.ng> Mobile: +2348035233535**alt
>>> email: <http://goog_1872880453>seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng
>>> <seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng>*
>>>
>>> The key to understanding is humility - my view !
>>>

>> --
>> Jordan Carter
>>
>> Chief Executive
>> *InternetNZ*
>>
>> 04 495 2118 (office) | +64 21 442 649 (mob)
>> jordan at internetnz.net.nz
>> Skype: jordancarter
>>
>> *A better world through a better Internet *

> --
>

> *Seun Ojedeji,Federal University Oye-Ekitiweb:
> http://www.fuoye.edu.ng <http://www.fuoye.edu.ng> Mobile: +2348035233535**alt
> email: <http://goog_1872880453>seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng
> <seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng>*
>
> The key to understanding is humility - my view !

Farzaneh