[CCWG-ACCT] New topics / concerns - initiating discussions

Carlos Raúl Gutiérrez crg at isoc-cr.org
Tue Jun 23 17:50:38 UTC 2015

Dear Mathieu,

Thank you for the one pagers,

I don´t know how the CCWG is going to collect reactions to the one
pagers. But here are my initial reactions on two of them, as they are
close to my own comments to the initial draft.

1. I have something to add to the internal accountability in the
corporation which is not reflected in the one pager. I want to refer to
the recommendations of the ATRT2 regarding the revision procedures. The
present procedures have been regularly dented, because it is difficult
to argue when there is a a staff vs. a Board action/inaction to object.
The final decision on the revision process is controlled by staff.
Furthermore, there is even less scope in the revision process to have
transparency about the arms length separation of staff action/inaction
between the different steps of the activities of the corporation (i.e.
policy development -normally related to the GNSO Council-, policy
implementation -normally related to GDD- and contract compliance). As I
commented to the initial draft, there is little on the Revision process
and even less on its direct inter-relation to the ITP.

I can hardly think that a global concept like “accountability
culture” will cover all bases for this very specific accountability
issues. Either this is a new additional block, or I can hardly see any
chance for a fruitful discussion under the present time limitations.

2. The challenge for a common standard of accountability for the whole
community is not only part of the “road ahead” section of the Net
Mundial statement in general terms, but is also present in the varied
definitions of consensus that we have ween in the CCWG but did not make
it to the draft, as well as the standards for SOI that the present PDP
on the framework for Cross Community Working groups, as presently under
discussion.

Again the respective one pager is obvious to all this background.

3. I have not read the other two one pagers but if they are as general
as the first two, I don´t understand how the CCWG will move forward on
those relevant issues. Do you have any suggestion like small subgroups
that would drill deeper on them and look for the meat of the issue? Is
there a chance to add one or two more blocks to the initial 4 ones?
there are some other hints in the Sunday evening address by Larry
Strickling, in terms of the relevance of certain issues towards the
standards set by the NTIA that should help address this new list of
issues in a more effective way.

Look forward to your comments.

best

Carlos Raúl Gutiérrez