[CCWG-ACCT] V10 DRAFT for your review by 2 May at 01:00 UTC

Matthew Shears mshears at cdt.org
Sat May 2 07:30:09 UTC 2015

These are general comments (late as I was in transit so missed the
deadline) - if I have misinterpreted things or missed them in the
proposal my apologies:

Para 16 - we introduce the membership and designator concepts here
without any real legal/clear definition of the membership concept. For
those who have not been through the intense work on this issue the
notion should be explained up front and very clearly.  For example what
does it mean to "become a member of ICANN"?  And then it quickly moves
on the UAs, which adds further confusion.  While the model is revisited
again in Para 166 in more detail it still is not clear what the legal
definition is of "members" or "membership" up front is essential.
Para 16.2 - it is unclear what is meant by "create new members or UAs" -
again for someone not following these discussions in depth this may be
confusing.
Para 20 -  last line should probably read "as both WGs/the community
are/is awaiting"  or something similar
Para 42 - 1st bullet - is it a "veto"? or is it "to force a
reconsideration of..." or better still we should use the langauge in
2.6.2 - reconsider/reject.
Para 51.2 and 3 - we seem to have commitments, guarantees and core
values... are commitments the same as guarantees?  where did guarantees
come from?
Para 61 - perhaps we should refer here to 2.3.3 and the specific ways in
which the mission could evolve rather than make it seem
impossible/improbable?
Para 64 .1 - the section on AoC 8b and does not actually say what is
going to happen to that AoC article.  While it is addressed in 253 - 257
it still does not say whether the community agrees or not that it is
_not_ necessary for AoC 8b to be taken over int the bylaws/AoI as
jurisdiction issues are already addressed therein. Perhaps we are
leaving it vague because our discussions have not got to that point?
Paras 66 - 112 - unfortunately the column formatting doesn't work that
well as in places it is difficult to map and see how the existing
language or intent is reflected in the new language.
Para 125 bullet 3 - the Sidley note.  Have these limitations been
discussed in the CCWG?  The first point should be expanded upon so that
we understand how the IRP may be limited or not.
Para 166 - again need a very clear definition somewhere of "member" and
"membership" in the context of this proposal.  Para 166 4d is not clear
- "Community participants would have the choice of opting in and
participating in this new accountability system, or to simply keep on
doing what they do today in an ICANN that is more accountable than it is
today."  This appears to suggest that a SO or AC could become fragmented
with some opting in and other not... Also appears to contradict 4a which
suggests that only the SOs and ACs as entities are members.
Para 190 - can we standardize the language - is it a budget
reconsideration and a bylaws change rejection?
Para 202 - probably need to say "a process *developed and* led by that
organization or subdivision would lead to the *relevant* director’s
removal."
Para 210 - do we mean "two thirds of the SOs or ACs in ICANN" or do we
mean "SOs *and* ACs"?
Para 215 - an interesting list which led me to wonder what about the
CEO?  If the entire Board is recalled is that not also an indictment of
the CEO who was selected by the Board/and is a "member" of the Board.
What if the CEO is the problem?
Para 688/689 - I don't think that we have captured anywhere the need for
WS2 (or some group/process) to undertake a systematic review of the
implementation and effectiveness of the WS1 enhancements/powers and the
ability to reassess/review/recommend changes?  I may have missed it.

Hope these help.

Matthew

Matthew Shears
Global Internet Policy and Human Rights