[CCWG-ACCT] My Private Sector view

Rudolph Daniel rudi.daniel at gmail.com
Mon May 4 02:36:32 UTC 2015

My own understanding so far is that ICANN is modeled on a multi stakeholder
sector approach to the management of a global resource.
Legally, it is registered as a private not for profit organization.

Is it not answerable to its stakeholders defined as Governments, private
sector business, civil society, and necessarily, other socials formations
present and to the future?
So I believe that multi-stakeholder is as generic as we can make it on
behalf of and in light of new actors and any future incarnations.

It has been expressed with a good degree of clarity that no one stakeholder
group should dominate; hoping to promote inclusion and in so doing,
maximize the potential for the public good and the future development of
the global resource in question.

IT is agreed that the internet should not be controlled by any
intergovernmental entity. Arguably,  the traditional opposite of that is
private sector. However, the private sector as we know it presently, is one
of many stakeholders.  And the principle we are at pains to stake down is
one that speaks to a bottom up culture for the governance of the global
internet resource.
So giving the private sector as we understand the term at this juncture, an
extra vote so to speak, would seem to put the cat amongst the pigeons and
can have a diluting effect on what the community is trying to achieve
moving forward.
RD