[CCWG-ACCT] [ccTLDcommunity] Cross Community Working Group on Enhancing ICANN Accountability (CCWG-Accountability) - Input Needed on its Proposed Accountability Enhancements (Work Stream 1)

Dr Eberhard Lisse el at lisse.NA
Tue May 5 09:36:16 UTC 2015

[sorry for the double post, technical issue]

Dear Byron,

as tmember appointed by the (chartering) ccNSO to the CCWG
Accountability I have followed the Charter, in particular in raising
my concerns of my points consistently being ignored and rejected by
the Co-Chairs of this CCWG, one of whom is Mathieu Weill, the
posting of whom, herein-under, I wish to address, "through the
chair".

Please assure that staff forwards this to all Council Members who do
not have access to the above lists.

These "current proposals" have been arrived at in violation of the
Charter, without the necessary Consensus Call for all positions, and
in violation of the Charter by refusing the opportunity to attach
minority views.

They also have been rushed over the objection of myself in which I
have been joined in various degrees, shape or form by appointed
members of every constituency chartering, even several GAC members
expressing themselves in this regard.

This was done in order to get "something" passed prior to a non
existing deadline instead of doing this carefully, thoroughly and
inclusively.

As usual the gNSO members and in particular un-appointed
participants representing large interests were/are the driving force
behind this rush-job.

The document is so convoluted that an expensive graphics company was
hired for several months to generate these professional graphics in
order to just be able to understand the document.

Even Mathieu doesn't understand it, because he not only refers to it
as a "report" which under the Charter REQUIRES a Consensus Call and
attachment of minority views, if any, and he alleges that it has any
relevance to ccTLDs, which is has not.

The community he refers to is ill defined, and in any case the ccNSO
has no mandate whatsoever to act on decisions, acts or omissions
affecting individual ccTLDs.

According to the Charter the CCWG must address ALL accountability
issues with the exception of administrative and operational IANA
issues, which were to have been addressed by CWG Stewardship, where
they were not being addressed, of course.

This was used to refuse and/or ignore any request that had anything
to do with the root zone and/or the IANA Function, in particular the
fundamental issues, which remain unresolved.

I will post something like this into the Comment Box for the record,
but I strongly urge all ccTLD Managers to strongly oppose this
rubbish.

Finally, I am personally offended by him thanking the ccTLD members
and characterizing their participation, in particular since hardly
any input by ccTLD members/participants had any effect on ccTLD
Managers' positions, and because he does not mean it.

For me it is not a pleasure to work in this CCWG and in particular
not an honor to work with him and any other of the other Co-Chairs.

el

On 2015-05-05 07:53, Mathieu Weill wrote:
> Thank you Gabi for sharing this announcement.
>
> In addition to the public comment announcement
> (https://www.icann.org/public-comments/ccwg-accountability-draft-proposal-2015-05-04-en)
> the CCWG-Accountability produced some graphics describing the current
> proposals (PDF,
> https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/52897394/XPL_CCWG_IllustratedConcepts_v2.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1430799940397&api=v2)
> , which you might find helpful, although of course nothing replaces
> reading the actual report.
>
> While this report is not focused on IANA, it is very relevant to ccTLDs
> : it addresses the accountability enhancements requested by the CWG Iana
> stewardship transition latest proposal, proposes additional powers for
> the community, including the ccNSO, and strongly reinforces Icannn's
> appeal mechanisms.
>
> For more details, the CCWG-Accountability will hold two identical
> webinars at different times to facilitate participation across time
> zones. The webinars will take place on:
>
>     11 May from 11:00 – 12:30 UTC
>     11 May from 19:00 – 20:30 UTC
>
> Details can be found here :
> https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2015-05-04-en
>
> I seize this opportunity to thank all ccTLD members and participants to
> this group. They have done a tremendous job, demonstrating the value of
> ccTLD inputs to the overall community. As co-chair, it is a great
> pleasure and an honour to work with such a team.
>
> We are now more than ever in listening mode and look forward to your
> questions and feedbacks.
>
> Best regards,
> Mathieu
[...]