[CCWG-ACCT] [ccTLDcommunity] Cross Community Working Group on Enhancing ICANN Accountability (CCWG-Accountability) - Input Needed on its Proposed Accountability Enhancements (Work Stream 1)

Jordan Carter jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Wed May 6 09:09:49 UTC 2015

Hi all, hi Ebehard,

Replying just to ccNSO members and to the CCWG-Accountability:

On 6 May 2015 at 20:24, Dr Eberhard Lisse <el at lisse.na> wrote:

> <snip>
>

> I have diligently participated and most constructively which was
> stated by all three Co-Chairs (when it suited them, obviously)
> during and after the Frankfurt and Istanbul meetings.

I would like to record my observation that this is true except the "after
the Istanbul" part.

> I have however since Singapore come to believe that we are doing
> this wrong and have voiced this in Singapore repeatedly.
>

> My objections mainly concern two issues, namely the refusal to deal
> with the fundamental issues of IANA/ICANN accountability.

For the benefit of those reading this who haven't been following your
arguments, is it fair to argue that you've said that there is a
foundational matter that is unresolved - what right the USG has over the
root at all?

If that's right confirmation would be helpful, if it isn't a correction
would also be helpful.

As a diligent participant in the CCWG for all of this year, I have to say
that there is no clarity on what your "fundamental issues" are.

I'd go further. If you had written those down and suggested that they be
attached to the comment report, I don't see how anyone could have objected.

Instead of doing that, you did object regularly and quite directly to the
process - without taking the step of exercising the opportunity you were
calling for.

So, the report does note it is not a consensus product - and in the absence
of your concrete minority views, they were not able to be attached.

I am obviously not a co-chair, but I would have supported attaching your
views had you produced them. I will maintain that position should you do so
in the next report, for the record.

> And the process ie the rushing to an arbitrary deadline without
> careful consideration.

I do not agree there is a lack of care in the consideration. Nor do I agree
that there are no external factors guiding the work we need to do and when
we need to do it by. Our links with the CWG's names stewardship proposal
are on the record, and it is not a luxury we have to take years to do this
work.

I hope there is not a widespread view that the IANA stewardship transition
should be delayed endlessly so that we can adopt a very leisurely pace on
improving ICANN's accountability.

> As a member of the FoI Wg I have
> participated in what must be considered the yardstick on thorough
> and considered review and debate.

Indeed. I haven't heard anyone criticise the quality of that work. Yet it
seems to me that the time taken to do it, and for any policy required
arising from it to be put into place, is part of the problem we find
ourselves in.

<snip>

> I strongly urge ccTLD Managers to soundly reject this rubbish
> "report" which tinkers on the surface, with the effect of tossing
> ccTLD Managers a few bones on issues that don't concern them really,
> and to demand that the fundamental questions that affect us ccTLD
> Managers are asked and answered.

I strongly urge you, Eberhard, to clearly and succinctly set out the
following matters:

- what you think the fundamental questions are
- what you think is irrelevant in the current set of proposals
- why you think the fundamental questions you mention have to be solved by
the CCWG, as opposed to the ccNSO itself or the CWG

Based on the wide consensus in the CCWG, including among other ccTLD
managers, I think you might find yourself out on a limb and representing
the views of nobody other than yourself.

I would welcome knowing whether that is the case, or whether your views are
shared by the majority.

Unfortunately, in the absence of you setting out your arguments, neither of
us will ever know...

bests

Jordan

--
Jordan Carter

Chief Executive
*InternetNZ*

04 495 2118 (office) | +64 21 442 649 (mob)
jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Skype: jordancarter

*A better world through a better Internet *