[CCWG-ACCT] Question regarding UAs

Steve Crocker steve at shinkuro.com
Thu May 21 09:21:17 UTC 2015

Edward,

See in line below.

Steve

On May 20, 2015, at 3:33 PM, Edward Morris <egmorris1 at toast.net> wrote:

> Dr. Crocker,
>
> I want to note my discomfort with aspects of your post earlier today. In my view it borders on inappropriate verbiage and, frankly, is not in keeping with the spirit of ICANN's Expected Standards of Behavior, one that emphasizes concepts such as good faith and listening and trying to understand the points of view of others.
>
>> differences of opinion will arise in *any* governance model.  The prevailing assumption in much of the correspondence on this list is that the proposed members will somehow be more balanced, more inclusive and more trustworthy in protecting the interests of the overall community than the ICANN Board is.  That’s simply false.  And I think you know that it is.
>
> Please correct yourself and apologize.
>

> Keith Drazek is an experienced and respected member of this community. I don't always agree with Keith, but if asked to describe him based upon my limited contact with him here at ICANN the word "integrity" is one that comes to mind. By professing to know the inner workings of Keith's mind ("And I think you know that it is") and insinuating that what he knows and what has written are not in congruence with each other,  you come very close to insinuating that Keith is not acting in good faith. By demanding that he change his views to match yours and that he apologize ( to whom and for what is unclear) for his comments you don’t show yourself particularly open and willing to understand views other than your own.

I have had the pleasure of working with Keith for several years, and I agree strongly that he is an experienced and respected member of the community.  He is one of the people in the community that I have always found thoughtful and well intentioned.  The point I am pressing on has been discussed before, and Keith is one of the people in the community that is known for keeping clear distinctions between objective facts, what’s best for the community, and the interests of his constituency or his employer.  It is because this is an old point that should have been laid to rest and because I trust Keith’s commitment to getting it right that I asked him to correct his statement.  I apologize that this did not come through as I intended.

> I believe you are better than this, Dr. Crocker, and this type of reaction is certainly not becoming to you. As a fairly newcomer to the community the trust issues I've seen with the Board by some members of the community are very sad and disconcerting. Might I suggest that the tone used and the demands contained in your post are not helpful in creating a better environment at ICANN. I do expect better from the Chair of the ICANN Board and I hope you’ll be mindful of these concerns in your future interactions with community members.

Point taken.  Thanks.

Steve