[CCWG-ACCT] Question regarding UAs

Edward Morris egmorris1 at toast.net
Wed May 20 19:33:57 UTC 2015

Dr. Crocker,

I want to note my discomfort with aspects of your post earlier today. In my
view it borders on inappropriate verbiage and, frankly, is not in keeping
with the spirit of ICANN's Expected Standards of Behavior, one that
emphasizes concepts such as good faith and listening and trying to
understand the points of view of others.

> differences of opinion will arise in *any* governance model.  The
> prevailing assumption in much of the correspondence on this list is that
> the proposed members will somehow be more balanced, more inclusive and more
> trustworthy in protecting the interests of the overall community than the
> ICANN Board is.  That’s simply false.  And I think you know that it is.
>

> Please correct yourself and apologize.

Keith Drazek is an experienced and respected member of this community. I
don't always agree with Keith, but if asked to describe him based upon my
limited contact with him here at ICANN the word "integrity" is one that
comes to mind. By professing to know the inner workings of Keith's mind
("And I think you know that it is") and insinuating that what he knows and
what has written are not in congruence with each other,  you come very
close to insinuating that Keith is not acting in good faith. By demanding
that he change his views to match yours and that he apologize ( to whom and
for what is unclear) for his comments you don't show yourself particularly
open and willing to understand views other than your own.

I believe you are better than this, Dr. Crocker, and this type of reaction
is certainly not becoming to you. As a fairly newcomer to the community the
trust issues I've seen with the Board by some members of the community are
very sad and disconcerting. Might I suggest that the tone used and the
demands contained in your post are not helpful in creating a better
environment at ICANN. I do expect better from the Chair of the ICANN Board
and I hope you'll be mindful of these concerns in your future interactions
with community members.

Respectfully,

Edward Morris
GNSO Council