[CCWG-ACCT] Defending and Protecting Work Stream 2

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 14:49:10 UTC 2015

All,

There are at least two active discussions in the CCWG regarding items that
are currently assigned to Work Stream 2.  In both cases, the "scope of
work" to be accomplished in Work Stream 1 depends on Work Stream 2
happening as we envision it.  This in turn depends on how well we defend,
protect and ensure the existence of WS2 in the work we're doing now.

I've been asked if I really believe that WS2 will happen.

The Board's comments essentially suggested disbanding Work Stream 2 and
re-assigning it to ICANN's efforts at "continuous improvement," which I
take to mean the usual processes already in place for ICANN to engage in
self-examination and improvement (reviews (e.g., ATRT and other AoC
reviews), PDP and non-PDP working groups, expert working groups,
staff-and-board initiatives, etc.).

I know what the review and PDP workflow for the GNSO looks like and that
would basically be the kiss of death (or at least an extended coma).  Work
Stream 2 is a work stream of this CCWG, and it needs to stay that way, so
that it stands apart from the usual business of self-improvement.  WS2 is
basically a series of "IOU's" from WS1.

Work Stream 2 was only allowed to exist in the first place because we
agreed that WS1 would guarantee that WS2 went forward, even without the
"leverage" of the upcoming transition.  This has to be absolutely
re-confirmed and guaranteed in our work reflected in our next Report, and
there needs to be consensus in the community (which includes the Board) on
that point.

If there is any doubt that WS2 is real and will proceed as planned -- if we
are kidding ourselves and WS2 is basically nothing but a list of future
chores to get around to at some point and under the usual methods -- if WS2
is no more real than the Tooth Fairy or the Great Pumpkin -- if WS2 is just
an attempt to mollify people -- let's just stop kidding ourselves, bring
all the WS2 initiatives back into WS1, and deal with it as best we can.

*We have two choices -- a real, robust and guaranteed Work Stream 2 for
this group, or no Work Stream 2 at all.*