[CCWG-ACCT] .Africa Preliminary Injunction

Nigel Roberts nigel at channelisles.net
Wed Apr 13 17:01:45 UTC 2016

Do you know what 'without prejudice' actually means?

It's a procedural legal term which means that the contents of your
letter or other communication, if sent within the context of a genuine
effort at settling a controversy by mutual discussion, cannot be used
against you before the court.

Its close cousin, 'without prejudice save as to costs' or a Calderbank
letter means it can't be used against you on the topic of liability (but
can be used to screw you on costs if you are found liable).

ICANN tried to 'oust the jurisdiction of the courts' in the Guidebook.

The Courts (in all countries) generally do not like this. Any such
restriction of access to the judicial system has to be reasonable and
proportionate.

What the Court said here is that ICANN tried to absolve itself, for the
future, for all purposes, of all, including its own willful ones.

This goes far beyond what is allowed, and should never have made it in
to the Guidebook.

Furthermore, those who naively believed (or as you appear, to continue
to believe) that this was in any way right or proper should take heed.