[CCWG-ACCT] .Africa Preliminary Injunction

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 18:00:55 UTC 2016

We can disagree on this Milton, I never mentioned public interest in my
statement! My views were derived from the buildup and not the final
conclusion. Look at the second to the last paragraph of section D. I quote
relevant part below:

"....ICANN argues that a delay in delegating .Africa will prejudice the
African community’s efforts
to participate in the Internet economy and strengthen their technology
sectors....",

Then the court says:

"....The AUC’s relationship with ZACR, and its interest in preventing the
delay of issuing rights to .Africa creates a conflict of
interest.Therefore, on this point, the
Court accords little weight to the Yedaly Declaration ..."

SO: The AUC supported ZACR (as part of the application requirement), I find
it quite unfortunate that such further view from AUC would be found to
create conflict of interest. If AUC did not write such, who else should do
so; I mean which other source of interest from Africa will not form
conflict in this matter?

  "...On balance, the Court finds it more *prejudicial to
the African community*....., if the delegation of .Africa is made...."

SO:  That is the section that provoked my previous view and I still stand
by it; Who is the US court to conclude that it will be harmful to Africa
community even when the AUC is pushing otherwise. This process has just
taken too long than necessary.

Nevertheless, I will stop here and look forward to the outcome of the case
filed by ICANN as indicated by Paul.

Regards

Sent from my LG G4
Kindly excuse brevity and typos