[CCWG-ACCT] Recommendation 6 and a way forward to include compromise text suggested by the Board

Paul Rosenzweig paul.rosenzweig at redbranchconsulting.com
Mon Feb 8 15:16:59 UTC 2016

As one who has no real opinion on the HR aspects of the work and where it
should ultimately come out, I would caution against chartering a second
group exclusively for that purpose.  First, as Alan notes, that would add
administrative complexity to the task.  More importantly, though, my
experience is that single purpose groups tend to be less successful.
Sometimes they err or the side of over-emphasizing a single issue without
due consideration for countervailing resource constraints and competing
values (the "if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"
syndrome).  More problematically, single topic groups have a tendency to be
marginalized and disregarded in the context of larger/broader concerns
(think how hard it has been for privacy issues to come to the fore in the
transatlantic discussions).  They tend, in my experience, to gain more
traction as part of a broader coalition of issues/events.  I don't feel
strongly, but I would fold the HR issues into a broader WS2 structure with a
separate substructure underneath

Cheers
Paul

Paul Rosenzweig