[CCWG-ACCT] Proposed Agenda CCWG ACCT Meeting - 12 July 2016 @ 20:00 UTC

Edward Morris egmorris1 at toast.net
Thu Jul 14 06:54:43 UTC 2016

Hi Avri,

> I can't imagine we would agree with ICANN in house legal being our
> default.  Not even sure I understand why it is being considered.

Hopefully it no longer is.

> Which of the firms maps to each of the issues?

Before it was disbanded (although I'm not sure it ever was; one day we verbally learned our services were no longer needed but there was no on
list discussion of the matter ) the EC of the legal sub-team assigned questions to the firms on a question by question basis taking into consideration the perceived expertise of each of the firms. I recall one session where we did so ending past midnight at the Istanbul F2F. I could perceive of questions in each of the subgroups that would map to either one of the firms or even to both (a few questions were sent to both firms).

Cost control is an appropriate thing for us to consider. I can conceive of questions where ICANN corporate legal would be a resource we can use. It should not be the default, though, but rather the determination of those charged on the legal team with making the question assignments to assign to them as such. I would also strongly encourage a procedure by where the legal team could assign questions to
Sidley or Adler or both and that assignment to Sidley and Adler combined not be the default either. One of the firms is less expensive than the other (those of us on the team that interviewed the firms were made aware of certain contractual matters; I don't recall what was confidential so will not disclose the specifics here) and certainly cost should be among the issues considered when choosing where to assign questions. The greater the flexibility given to the legal team to manage the flow of questions IMHO the greater the chance we'll get the needed advice at the best possible cost.

Ed