[CCWG-ACCT] Bylaws Issue: Section 1.1(c)

Salaets, Ken ksalaets at itic.org
Sun May 1 08:18:42 UTC 2016

Hi Greg, all.  I tend to agree that the referenced sentence is problematic.  I can't recall ever encountering the phrase "for the avoidance of doubt."  A more common construct would be something like "To be clear" or perhaps "For the sake of clarity,..."

As for the balance of that sentence, does ICANN have any regulatory authority, let alone "governmentally authorized"?  Granted, it can set rules, but the term "regulation" often is interpreted as "ability to constrain."  Even if a regulation isn't "authorized," it doesn't mean that it may not be favored by a government or governments.

Apologies if I am treading over well-worn ground, but using plain English could well prove invaluable in avoiding future unnecessary but perhaps inevitable tussles over semantics.  I support Greg's argument.

Cheers,

Ken