[CCWG-ACCT] TR: Rationale Requirement in Annex D, Section 2.2(c)(i)(A)

Schaefer, Brett Brett.Schaefer at heritage.org
Wed May 4 13:20:26 UTC 2016

Malcolm raises a fair question, but I would apply it more generally. The current bylaw stipulates that the EC can’t reject to the ICANN Budget, an IANA Budget, an Operating Plan or a Strategic Plan except in the specified circumstances. I acknowledge that the listed criteria cover the most likely reasons for a rejection petition and the final clause (“or other matter of concern to the community”) is rather open ended.

But on principle I think the EC should be able to reject those budgets and plans for any reason as long as they provide a rationale. If the rationale is weak or caters to the concerns of a small slice of the ICANN community, it won’t receive sufficient support from the EC to pass the threshold. If it passes the EC rejection threshold, then I think that alone would demonstrates that the rationale has merit regardless of its basis and should lead the Board to reconsider.

Brett Schaefer
Jay Kingham Senior Research Fellow in International Regulatory Affairs
Margaret Thatcher Center for Freedom Davis Institute for National Security and Foreign Policy
The Heritage Foundation
214 Massachusetts Avenue, NE
Washington, DC 20002
202-608-6097