[CCWG-ACCT] New Bill on IANA Transition

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Fri May 27 20:30:53 UTC 2016

On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 07:35:20PM +0100, Nigel Roberts wrote:
> What must be really worrying from the right-wing in the USA is that (unless
> I'm mistaken) there's no carve out from ICANN (claimed) authority over
> .MIL/GOV as being any different from .COM/NET

ICANN has exactly the same effective authority over any TLD as over
any other: it controls the delegation from the root.  That's it.

It seems to me that an agreement between ICANN and the relevant USG
departments that these are going to be treated effectively as ccTLDs
(the way that the "IDN" ccTLDs are) would completely cover the matter.
It also seems to me that the reason ICANN hasn't pressed on that has
nothing to do with ICANN, and everything to do with a national
government that didn't see a reason to have what Steve DelBianco
called "more paper" last Tuesday.

This is a completely artificial problem.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com