[CCWG-ACCT] Notes, recordings, transcript for CCWG ACCT Meeting #6_4 October

MSSI Secretariat mssi-secretariat at icann.org
Tue Oct 4 16:25:01 UTC 2016

Hello all,

The notes, recordings and transcripts for CCWG Accountability WS2 Meeting #6 – 4 October 2016 will be available here:  https://community.icann.org/x/Qg6sAw

A copy of the notes and action items may be found below.

Thank you.

With kind regards,
Brenda Brewer
MSSI Projects & Operations Assistant
ICANN - Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers
Action Items

·         There may be some confusion between ATRT2 recommendations and the upcoming work of ATRT3. ATRT2 has now been cleared up with Ombudsman group. SB will clarify this in an email to the list

·         As to our request to the ICANN Board wrt WS2 vs ATRT3 we have not yet received a response and co-chairs will follow this up with the Board contacts (https://community.icann.org/display/WEIA/Documents?preview=/59641302/61605206/CCWG-LetterOnCollisionsOfWS2andATRT3-SDB-BTDraft%3DClean%5B2%5D.pdf )

·         Review of proposed schedule and request that all sub-groups can submit their topics for discussion by October 21st.
Notes (includes relevant parts of chat):
Apologies:  Thomas Rickert, Lori Schulman, Paul McGrady
30 participants at onset
1. IANA Transition Update

·         Mathieu Weill: Transition has occurred and the new Byalws, including the accountability changes, are now in effect.

·         Kavous Arasteh: Put in record significant thanks for Lise Fuhr and Jonathan Robinson for taking the CWG to the transition.

·         Avri Doria: Lets also remember Larry, and Fiona, and Ashley and the whole crowd at NTIA that were perseverant, patient and waited an extra year for us.  And let’s learn from that that often it takes twice as long as we expect it to.

·         Sebastien Bachollet: also thanks with Fadi Chehade.

·         Megan Richards: thanks Kavouss but the transition couldn't have gone through without the ccwg work as well. I would suggest a general thanks to all involved otherwise we will have to have many speeches and a very long list (not to diminish the important work of the CWG of course!)

·         Jordan Carter (.nz, ccNSO): It's been a good set of work. But do we need to spend a lot of time congratulating each other? :-)

·         Mathieu Weill: Support MR recommendation.

·         Kavouss Arasteh: Yes, Larry's Team done fantastic job in particular. his speech and testimony before the congress while Fiona was sitting behind him with full team
2. Update Action Items from 20 September Plenary

·         Leon Sanchez: Groups have reported, now expecting that no groups will have draft reports before Copenhagen.

·         Karen Mulberry: Several groups are asking some support. Will look at budget vs the requests and advise.

·         Sebastien Bachollet - Ombudsman: We will ask for some budget commitment and will provide information in next 24 hours.

·         Leon Sanchez: any additional updates.

3. Workplan and Timeline for Public Comments in 2017

·         Mathieu Weill: Proposed dates for plenaries going forward.

·         Sebastien Bachollet: December meeting has a conflict - please ensure.

·         Mathieu Weill: review of work plan and timeline.
4. Budget Update and GNSO Resolution

·         Leon Sanchez: update by BT

·         Bernard Turcotte: update per slides.

·         Jorge Cancio (GAC Switzerland): could we have some explanation on the effect of the gnso opinion for the ccwg? Thanks - I suppose that for the ccwg there needs to be agreement if needed on any conditions attached
5. Subgroup Issues and Reports for Plenary

·         Sebastien Bachollet - Ombudsman: The group wanted to be certain of the role of the Ombudsman vs PTI and the fact that this role is not in the Bylaws.

·         Mathieu Weill: The CCWG agrees that the Ombudsman's office has PTI in its scope.

·         Sebastien Bachollet: Just a note that we are working with other sub-groups. Should any other sub-groups have dependencies please contact us.

·         Mathieu Weill: There may be some confusion between ATRT2 recommendations and the upcoming work of ATRT3. ATRT2 has now been cleared up with the Ombudsman group. SB will clarify this in an email to the list (ACTION ITEM). As to our request to the ICANN Board wrt WS2 vs ATRT3 we have not yet received a response and co-chairs will follow this up with the Board contacts (ACTION ITEM) (https://community.icann.org/display/WEIA/Documents?preview=/59641302/61605206/CCWG-LetterOnCollisionsOfWS2andATRT3-SDB-BTDraft%3DClean%5B2%5D.pdf )
6. Hyderabad Face-to-Face meeting plans

·         Leon Sanchez: Review of proposed schedule and request that all sub-groups can submit their topics for discussion by October 21st (ACTION ITEM).

·         jorge cancio (GAC Switzerland): on the Hyderabad meeting plan: I would suggest that subgroups present their difficult issues to the CCWG, with options if possible, for the CCWG to discuss and decide

·         Julf Helsingius: I assume remote participation will be possible?

·         Mathieu Weill, ccNSO, co-chair: Absolutely.

·         Mathieu Weill, ccNSO, co-chair: I'll be participating remotely

·         Kavous Arasteh: request to ask the sub-groups to raise any questions which require input/guidance from the CCWG.
7. Travel to Hyderabad

·         Mathieu Weill: Reminder of the travel details for Hyderabad including visas.
8. AOB

·         Mathieu Weill: AOB (none). Reminder that participants in sub-groups need to get going if we are going to have useful discussions in Hyderabad. We need the sub-groups to participate between their meetings.

·         Avri Doria: MW keep mentioning we need to accelerate the work - we had to get WS1 done because there was a timing constraint. But now our participants’ resources have been stretched - we have to get this done without it going on forever. We need to get this done right vs on time.

·         Julf Helsingius: I agree with Avri - better to get it right than to push something half-cooked through the process.

·         jorge cancio (GAC Switzerland): Avri is right. Internal participation is going down. We would need to make sure that the larger community is kept informed and nudged to participate - through specific consultations, focused meetings etc. - we need to be imaginative

·         Jordan Carter (.nz, ccNSO): I agree, but also think that we could take forever and work on this always - the challenge has to be to get the balance right - ccwg isn't meant to be eternal

·         Megan Richards: perhaps good for subgroups to identify short term, medium term and longer term actions, goals?

·         Sabine Meyer (GAC - Germany): I think that's already going on

·         Mathieu Weill: We have to find the right balance because the work of he CCWG cannot be eternal. Adjourned.

Action Items:

·         There may be some confusion between ATRT2 recommendations and the upcoming work of ATRT3. ATRT2 has now been cleared up with Ombudsman group. SB will clarify this in an email to the list

·         As to our request to the ICANN Board wrt WS2 vs ATRT3 we have not yet received a response and co-chairs will follow this up with the Board contacts (https://community.icann.org/display/WEIA/Documents?preview=/59641302/61605206/CCWG-LetterOnCollisionsOfWS2andATRT3-SDB-BTDraft%3DClean%5B2%5D.pdf )

·         Review of proposed schedule and request that all sub-groups can submit their topics for discussion by October 21st.

Next CCWG-Acct Plenary meeting will be on
19 October at 1300 UTC
Documents
·         CCWG Draft WS2 Plenary 4Oct2016.pdf<https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/61607490/CCWG%20Draft%20WS2%20Plenary%204Oct2016.pdf?version=2&modificationDate=1475584103000&api=v2>