[CCWG-ACCT] CCWG-accountability WS2 IOO DT - planing - document - questions - help

Sébastien Bachollet sebastien at bachollet.com
Wed Oct 5 16:52:32 UTC 2016

Dear colleagues,
Following the last call of the IOO DT (ICANN Ombuds Office drafting team) on
October the 3dr, this is my report as rapporteur.
Please if you are participant of the IOO DT and you have additional items,
POV…

Up to now we meet 9 times.
We have a draft document (attached).
My idea was to have this document ready for discussion during the Hyderabad
meeting by participants of the ICANN meeting.
It seems more realist today to try to have a document to be discuss by the
ccwg-accountability WS2 plenary during our meeting November the 2nd 2016.
Please add the IOO DT as one of the group willing to report and hopefully to
have a document to be discuss during our F2F meeting in Hyderabad.
Our last schedule call is on Monday October 24th.
I am planing to send a « final » version of our draft by October 17th /
28th.

One of the reason (appart for the difficulty to have a productive
participation between meeting as many of the other groups) we need more time
is that I/we discover during the presentation of ATRT2 Implementation Update
that some overlap of ATRT2 recommendations with ccwg-accountability was to
be taken on board by the IOO DT.
Among various items one to be consider is the review of the Ombuds role.

It was summarized by the ATR2 implementation team’s by:

i)     Review of the Office of the Ombudsman,

ii)   The role within ICANN, and

iii)  Whether the duties/scope of the Ombudsman should be expanded or
changed in line with suggestions from the ATRT2.

(1) An expert was expected to be retained and to perform a review of the
Office of the Ombudsman by June 2015, with work expected to be completed by
October 2015. Because of the unique nature of the Ombudsman role within
ICANN, there were challenges in identifying a proper independent expert to
undertake this review.

(2) As ICANN was conducting a search for this review, work continued in the
Cross Community Working Group on Enhancing ICANN Accountability on modifying
the role of the Ombudsman. In addition to the changes to the Ombudsman role
that are already reflected in the new ICANN Bylaws (particularly within the
Reconsideration Process, where the Ombudsman has a new role), the
CCWG-Accountability also noted that it will do a broader review of the
Ombudsman role in its Work Stream 2 efforts that are under development now
and anticipated to conclude mid-year in 2017.

(3) The CCWG-Accountability’s Work Stream 2 efforts on the Ombudsman can be
followed at https://community.icann.org/display/WEIA/Ombudsman
<https://community.icann.org/display/WEIA/Ombudsman> .

(4) ICANN committed to this work in the Bylaws as approved by the Board on
(https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/adopted-bylaws-27may16-en.pdf
<https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/adopted-bylaws-27may16-en.pdf>
).

After multiple discussion, the IOO DT suggest to undertake the review with
outside help as it was planed by the ATRT2 implementation.

We therefore are asking for a budget to do so.
As it was not in our plan when we discuss about the budget of the
ccwg-account WS2 we may need to turn to the CFO as it may have been plan in
the ATRT2 review?
The outside expert will be able to review the IOO and to bring his/her
expertise to the Drafting Team.
We together with the currant ombudsman we are ready to provide possible
name(s).

Regarding ICANN staff support.
I would like to ask help to write the report.
Other eyes (and hands) will be helpful and also with better English command.

https://community.icann.org/display/WEIA/Ombudsman

Thanks for consideration.
If you have any question… Please…

All the best