[CCWG-ACCT] Notes, recordings, transcript for WS2 Ombudsman Subgroup Meeting #10_ 17 October 16

MSSI Secretariat mssi-secretariat at icann.org
Mon Oct 17 20:21:46 UTC 2016

Hello all,

The notes, recordings and transcripts for CCWG Accountability WS2 Ombudsman Subgroup Meeting #10 -  17 October 2016 will be available here:   https://community.icann.org/x/wxK4Aw

A copy of the notes may be found below.

Thank you.

Kindest Regards,
Yvette Guigneaux
Multi-Stakeholder & Strategic Initiative Assistant
ICANN | Internet Corporation for Assigned Names & Numbers
12025 Waterfront Drive, Playa Vista, CA 90094
yvette.guigneaux at icann.org<mailto:yvette.guigneaux at icann.org> | www.icann.org<http://www.icann.org>

________________________________

Notes
(including relevant parts of chat):
6 participants at start of call.
1. Roll Call / Apologies - Welcome - Opening Remarks
Sebastien Bachollet: Agenda accepted. Cheryl Langdon-Orr apologies. We have added a new observer.
2. Discussion of the questions
Sebastien Bachollet: Note regarding new role of the Complaints Officer (CO).
Asha Hemrajani: Asking for more details on how the new hire will interact with the Ombuds Office and when the CO will be hired.
Herb Waye: spoke to Goran twice about this. He was concerned about complaints regarding staff performance. There is an overlap with the role of the Ombuds Office - looking forward to a partnership between both similar to the partnership of the Ombuds Office has with contractual enforcement.
Asha Hemrajani: Agree positive development. However, there could be overlap with the Ombudsman Office but it will be important for this group to get more information on the new position for our work.
Klaus Stoll: Unfortunate timing given the work of this group and the lack of consultation with the community. Would have been better to work with the recommendations of this group. There is serious concern by the community that this will further strengthen ICANN legal which is undesirable.
Sebastien Bachollet: good comment KS. The question remains about the Ombuds Office vs staff. Also note that the new position could have been discussed with this group and the staff prior to any announcement. Personal opinion is that any such position for staff should be independent of staff. Additionally, we should coordinate with the Staff Accountability sub-group.
Klaus Stoll: Can we as a group start a dialogue with Goran on that position. At least communicate our concerns?
Asha Hemrajani: Klaus, as I had mentioned earlier, I have asked Goran to provide further clarifications.
Klaus Stoll: It should get further then just us being told. It should be a dialogue. I appreciate what AH is saying, clarifications will not help. We should communicate with Goran that he should discuss with us before proceeding.
Sebastien Bachollet: Propose we bring this to the attention of the full group on the plenary call. ACTION ITEM - Invite Goran to our next meeting to discuss this point.
Asha Hemrajani: I think Herb (as staff) and I (as board liaison) can bring back these concerns to the Board and staff.
Klaus Stoll: Thank You Asha
Herb Waye: Ombuds Office would be for staff relevant to policy implementation issues. More HR related issues would be for the CO.
Asha Hemrajani: Herb and I can bring this up to the Board but the first step is to get more information.
Sebastien Bachollet: As a group we would prefer to have direct interaction with Goran on this topic.
3. Prep of the next WS2 plenary (Oct 19, 2016)
Sebastien Bachollet: The Board Gov. Comm. is the unit to look at the work done by the Ombudsman. What will be the role of the BGC going forward? Would like to link this question to the independence of the Ombus Office - this in the context of the Empowered Community.
Klaus Stoll: We have to transition from the current model to the Empowered Community and we need to have very clear roles.
Herb Waye: Independence has never been an issue with the various components of the Board. It could possibly be better documented but it will not change the relationship.
Klaus Stoll: Agree with HW, but find it useful to properly document these points.
 Asha Hemrajani: This is all a matter of documentation.
Sebastien Bachollet: Personal POV - Need to be clear of why and how things are done and we need to see if we can improve independence. Additionally, what is the role of the Compensation Committee re budget of the Ombuds office (uncertain?). Should this be done outside of the Board? maybe a discussion for this group. This closes this topic for today. I have asked the full CCWG regarding how we will finance the review. Also would like to have staff help for the document.
Herb Waye Ombuds: An external review would not need to be rewritten by staff
4. Plan of the document
Sebastien Bachollet: (review of slide). I will be working on a new version in the next 48 hours so we can look at it prior to our next meeting.
5. Coordination with other DT
Sebastien Bachollet: Have discussed with Transparency group. Should we have a joint meeting with them? Another group that is relevant is Staff Acct. Please think if we should hold common meetings with these other groups (Action item: Send a note to this group regarding this).
Herb Waye: If we do have such meetings they should be arranged to ensure they are productive and do not bring more confusion.
6. Next meeting #11 - Oct 24, 2016
7. AOB
(none)
Sebastien Bachollet: Adjourned (with 6 participants).