[CCWG-ACCT] A few questions (Was Fwd: ICANN News Alert -- ICANN FY16 Annual Report of Expense Reimbursement and Other Payments to ICANN Directors for the Period 1 July 2015 Through 30 June 2016)

Steve Crocker steve at shinkuro.com
Sun Oct 30 09:34:31 UTC 2016

Seun,

Many of us are in transit to Hyderabad so I’ll give quick answers to some of your questions.  I’ll leave it to Xavier to answer the others.

Steve

> On Oct 30, 2016, at 2:44 PM, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Xavier,
> <putting ccwg in CC as I have no idea which other list discusses this>
>
> I am looking at the figures recently published and I find it quite interesting but i am always reminded that ICANN sure have the money so why not. However I have a few questions and would appreciate your response:
>
> 1. The figure vary by Board member, apart from difference that could occur as a result of flight booking, are there any other factor/elements that affect figures?

There are multiple factors.  Some members travel considerably more than others.  Some live in places where travel is significantly more expensive.
> 2. Is there any limit to what a Board member can spend?

We’re more focused on making good use of Board member’s time.  Some Board members have more time to contribute, and some of those contributions involve increased travel.  We are evolving a travel policy that seeks a good balance between cost and value to the ICANN community.  It’s a work in progress aimed at empowering Board members but with reasonable controls to avoid excess.

> 3. Does the column for amount paid "on behalf" include travel expense for ICANN meetings (and other Board specific meetings)?
>
> 4. What determines if a Board get compensated or not. i.e is board member participation like attendance to meetings, delivery on internal committee tasks et all considered as part of the requirement for payment? and is there publicly available record of such?

Board remuneration is set at $45,000 USD ($75,000 for the chair) without regard to attendance, committee chairmanship, etc.

All Board members, including liaisons, are eligible.  Some Board members may elect not to accept the remuneration.  The most common reason is when a Board member is being paid by his or her company.
> 5. Am I right that the compensation is tax free as the Board ain't employees?

No.  The tax status may be different in different jurisdictions.  For U.S. Board members, the compensation is subject to taxation.
> 6. Some of the members seem not to be given the compensation, is there a reason for this?

See the answer to (4).

Hope this helps.

Steve
(Answering from my steve at shinkuro.com email address because that seems to be how I’m listed on the CCWG mailing list.)