[CCWG-ACCT] Answers to some common questions being encountered by the ICANN staff

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 11 14:59:05 UTC 2016

:-)I'd like to offer a perhaps "different" idea for how to approach this topic.
The CCWG-IG is a parallel WG at ICANN and we are engaged in trying to provide input to Senior staff/Board and community on the larger Internet Governance eco system.
Yes, it is possible that some of the engagements that ICANN undertook over the past few years may have led to misunderstandings.
However, much good was done on actually explaining what ICANN does and must do.
Let me offer all of us the following four Cs, to consider:
Co-exist with others who are engaged in IG and who may have even greater roles depending the issues.
Collaborate both on IG and on awareness about ICANN's purpose and contributions to IG...  - when it is appropriate, and that includes with IGF and the national and regional Initiatives of the IGF; with ISOC, with IEEE, with W3C, and with the UN relevant agencies - ITU, UNESCO, UNDP, CSTD, UNCTAD, ... and at the regional level and with various professional groups both from business and civil society....
Complement - figure out when it is important to support another entity that has a leadership role in a particular area. This for instance might be the importance of support to the UN Trust Fund which supports the IGF Secretariat and through relevant organizations, provide funding for the National and Regional IGF activities and growth and enhancement.
Compete -- when other entities seek to assume the coordinating role of ICANN in the unique identifiers, whether well meaning or not,  make it clear that ICANN has a unique role and purpose and is the critical entity in fulfilling  its core mission.