[CCWG-ACCT] Notes, recordings, transcript for WS2 Ombudsman Subgroup Meeting #7 - 19 September

MSSI Secretariat mssi-secretariat at icann.org
Tue Sep 20 09:15:51 UTC 2016

Hello all,

The notes, recordings and transcripts for CCWG Accountability WS2 Ombudsman Subgroup Meeting #7 – 19 September 2016 will be available here:  https://community.icann.org/x/NAC4Aw

A copy of the notes may be found below.

Thank you.

With kind regards,
Brenda Brewer
MSSI Projects & Operations Assistant
ICANN - Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers

 Notes
Ombudsman Subgroup Meeting #7_ 19 September @ 05:00 UTC
The meeting will be recorded.  *6 will mute and unmute your phone lines.
Apologies:  Susan Payne
Agenda:  Meeting #7 of the Work Stream 2 DT Ombuds.
•       Roll Call / Apologies – Welcome – Opening Remarks
•       Action Items from our last call #6
•       Discuss the document (V5)
•       Report to the plenary of the ccwg WS2
•       Next Meeting
•       AOB
Notes (includes relevant parts of chat):  Meeting #7 of the Work Stream 2 DT Ombuds.
Roll Call / Apologies – Welcome – Opening Remarks
·         Sebastien Bachollet: 7 participants. No other special points.
Action Items from our last call #6
·         Sebastien Bachollet: will review in the draft document.
Discuss the document (V5)
·         Sebastien Bachollet: Update on Bylaws update regarding the Ombuds office.
·         Asha Hemrajani: clarification regarding PTi being a subsidiary or an affiliate - ICANN legal counsel has agreed to affiliate and not subsidiary.
Second point relating to PTI Bylaws vs Ombudsman - ICANN legal counsel does not believe there is a need to modify the PTI bylaws to include
the Ombudsman. there could be other modifications to allow the Ombudsman to work with PTI.
·         Herb Waye: more of a communications objective would be fine.
·         Sebastien Bachollet: All these inputs are already in the document. Do we consider the request of the CWG on naming functions for PTI.
As to the Bylaws I would like to be certain this is ok and would suggest we discuss this with the CCWG. My personal preference is that we need more than just update the website and we do not modify the Bylaws we should modify the Framework of the Ombuds.
·         Herb Waye: We should look at the definition of affiliate and see if it is inclusive for the ICANN community which could be enough.
·         Asha Hemrajani: Would support including in the Ombudsman Framework. Definition of affiliate (read by AH).
·         Sebastien Bachollet: would be great if you could send to the list so we can include it in the document. Any other input.
·         Chris LaHatte: put in simple terms, PTI is part of the ICANN community and therefore within jurisdiction.
·         Herb Waye Ombuds: The Office has always leaned towards inclusiveness
·         Chris LaHatte: we have a broad church approach :-)
·         Sebastien Bachollet: (went over questions in the document). Need inputs on these questions in the document.
·         Herb Waye: We could bring in an external expert to do a review if this would be acceptable to the group - we could share the costs for this.
·         Asha Hemrajani: re an external expert we need to have quotations and a clear mandate before proceeding so we have a budget for this.
·         Sebastien Bachollet: I am unclear if we need an expert or not - I will bring this back to the CCWG later today.
·         Herb Waye Ombuds: It is also something I can fund as a review of the office is common practice and something that needs to be done frequently
as part of the framework.
·         Sebastien Bachollet: Questions regarding the Diversity Office and the Election Office vs Ombuds office.
·         Herb Waye Ombuds: Diversity possibly... Elections not so sure. Need more analysis
·         Chris LaHatte: we can look at failure of process in an election but not being in charge of elections
·         Herb Waye Ombuds: Agree Chris
·         Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Just want to point out we have to remain open to dependencies and inter-dependencies throughout our mandate given
some of the other groups have not even started.
·         Sebastien Bachollet: Fully agree and just wanted to get the ball going.
Report to the plenary of the ccwg WS2
·         Sebastien Bachollet: Will raise the issue of coordination, PTI, Review (ATRT2). Any other points.
Next Meeting
·         Monday September 26th 1300UTC.
 AOB
·         Herb Waye: Participation could be brought up at the prep and CCWG meetings.
·         Sebastien Bachollet: Adjourned.