[CCWG-ACCT] time limits on mission challenges

Mueller, Milton L milton at gatech.edu
Wed Sep 28 14:51:58 UTC 2016

Yes, Bradley
Paul and I seem to be in agreement with you. Your enumeration of the problems associated with time limits mirror many of the concerns  I raised in my initial message. I like the way you clarify the danger that expiration of a time limit would effectively make something presumptively “within mission” – this is a one-way valve that can only result in mission creep if we are not careful how we define the beginning and end of the time period and what triggers it. We might want to extend it to a year.

I agree with you also that exceeding the mission may be a harm in and of itself. The idea that someone has to prove harm to themselves to make a mission-based challenge has always struck me as a severe limitation. On the other hand, it does protect ICANN from frivolous use of the challenge; it is clear that mission challenges could be exploited to tie things up.

Dr. Milton L Mueller
Professor, School of Public Policy<http://spp.gatech.edu/>
Georgia Institute of Technology
Internet Governance Project
http://internetgovernance.org/

All,

I wanted to weigh in because it appears that the discussion is veering towards an acceptance of a six month period as a possible time limitation for bringing challenges to ICANN exceeding the bounds of its mission.  Please correct me if I’ve missed anything that’s already been said that would address my questions below.

If there is a time limitation, does this mean if no-one brings a challenge within the specific time, that such a challenge is barred forever more?  So for better or worse, that particular policy or practice is then effectively grandfathered into the mission?  If so, then to avoid the possibility of mission creep, we should be sure that the time limitation for a claim is sufficiently long and/or flexible to take into account a number of factors, including the following:

·         The length of time between the board’s adoption of a policy, its implementation and the time taken for parties to assess the impact thereof. (This could be 5 or more years).

·         The possibility that implementation of a policy or practice may evolve over a period of time in a way that only later raises questions about its link to ICANN’s Mission.

·         The later emergence of facts or circumstances which cast the practice/policy in a new light, such that its compliance with the mission are called into question.

·         The possibility that harm or injury may be difficult to show without evidence gathered over a significant period of time (a year or more) to demonstrate its impact.

·         The possibility that something may be incompatible with ICANN’s mission, and yet not cause any direct injury.  (Is the injury a fundamental requirement for a mission challenge?  Where is the source for that requirement?)

Thanks,

Bradley Silver